CHC funding in place choices offered not suitable

kat69

Jun 16, 2017
my partner has been in an acute assessment hospital since July 2017, he was attacked nearly 4 years ago and suffered a brain haemorrhage and through the trauma has developed dementia he was first diagnosed with PCA dementia but has not been confirmed as he is unable to have a MRI due to his challenging behaviour. He has had several falls since being admitted and has dislocated his collar bone, which has not been fixed due to his behaviour so it can be very difficult when he has to be restrained. He has been given CHC funding and I have been given a few homes from CHC which are not suitable - due to his challenging behaviour there are not a lot of choices however I was given one which was out of county by CHC and this I feel is suitable, I do not mind travelling 25 miles as long as it's the right place for him, however CHC have now said they will not fund as they want to place my partner in county is there any way I can challenge this - my partner has become very frail since being in hospital and has lost 23kilos in weight but can still be challenging - I just want the right environment for him is there any way I can challenge their decision as the nursing homes they have suggested and I have been to visit are really not suitable any help would be really appreciated.

kat69

Jun 16, 2017
Hi thank you for your prompt reply. The two nursing homes which are the only options they have said deal with challenging behaviour. The first home was Victorian very dark corridor to bedroom very narrow fit one person all in one room all day staff did not seem to interact with patients all in nursing station bar one male who stood watching them, I explained that prn was given when needed and he has issues when getting him washed and their answer was that they would give him prn before he gets up every morning which when given he is very unsteady on his feet. With the brain injury he sleeps a lot and takes himself off to the quiet area there was not this facility for him to do this and I would fear for his safety as he is very frail. The second home was much the same in the same group of nursing homes the patients were all very healthy looking and again I would fear for his safety if put in these conditions. The hospital he is in at present say his dementia has taken over his brain injury but I feel they are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The nursing home, which they first suggested suits all his needs ie brain injury, dementia and challenging behaviour and a much better environment.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'd give some thought to what would happen if the CHC was withdrawn in the future.
"The hospital he is in at present say his dementia has taken over his brain injury" the case for him getting CHC may be more related to his brain injury when it comes to him getting and more importantly keeping his CHC funding, CHC for just dementia isn't too common these days.
K

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Care is very important, decoration, style of building no so much but light and airy corridors would be good. Even the best homes show wear very quickly. The day after my husband’s lounge was redecorated one of the men walked towards the window carrying his beaker of blackcurrent. Suddenly he just threw his arm out and the blackcurrent hit the ceiling, wall, chair and me. Surprising what abeaker of liquid can cover. So the pristine room was no longer pristine.

Staffing is important, how many people were being watched over by one person? Were there others about who could be called should something happen?

My husband had his quiet moments in his room. He had the bed to lie on or his armchair by the window to sit in.

His nursing home was for challenging behaviour. There were just two homes in out county and luckily one was just a 15 minute drive from home.

If you are not happy with the two homes then make an appointment to speak to CCG and put your concerns forward.

As Kevinl says, keep in mind that CHC can be withdrawn plus your Husband will need to be assessed by the homes before they agree that they can meet his needs.

Last edited:

kat69

Jun 16, 2017
Thank you both for taking the time to reply - sorry for late reply just come back from visiting my partner who was again in a very aggressive mood, it is such a cruel disease. I have a nursing home coming out this afternoon this is the one CHC told me about which is very good and would have no hesitation in placing him there but they are now backtracking and saying they won't fund. I quite agree decor is not essential my priority is how he will be cared for as he is very frail. I just need to convince CHC that this is the right home for him, how I am going to do that I don't know.