CHC funding- after the panel meeting

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Mum "narrowly missed out" on CHC funding , and the panel meeting was held before christmas.

My understanding was that we should heve been sent copies of the Decision support tool, and notes appertaining to the decision, but these have never materialised.

I have sent two letters to the hospital discharge team manager, and subsequently sent an email with copies of all correspondence to the patient advice liaison service (PALS), no reply from them either so far.....

Am I missing something do you think? Is my understanding wrong - what shall I do next -suggestions?:(

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
They do take a long time to reply and if you add in the Christmas factor it would take even longer. Do you have a contact number you can ring?

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
On what grounds do you know that she narrowly missed out.

It seems a weird thing to say. Have you watched the video. The Dst should not be used mechanistic ally.

It's used to collate information.

Be sure they are not acting unlawfully. When your mums needs are beyond what is deemed to be social care then by default you are eligible for CHC funding.

A well managed need is still a need. This is from guidance from 2007 I believe. Guidance is used to explain the law and the law ( 1946) states that nhs is free at point of need.

If social care tries to take up your mum, they could be acting unlawfully.

I would definitely appeal and yes you should get a copy of the Dst.

Clueless2

May 14, 2015
Is it possible to have a link posted for the video you mention dottyyd, I'm not sure where to find it, thanks.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
On what grounds do you know that she narrowly missed out.

It seems a weird thing to say. Have you watched the video. The Dst should not be used mechanistic ally.

It's used to collate information.

Be sure they are not acting unlawfully. When your mums needs are beyond what is deemed to be social care then by default you are eligible for CHC funding.

A well managed need is still a need. This is from guidance from 2007 I believe. Guidance is used to explain the law and the law ( 1946) states that nhs is free at point of need.

If social care tries to take up your mum, they could be acting unlawfully.

I would definitely appeal and yes you should get a copy of the Dst.

You do not necessarily become eligible for CHC funding by default simply because your needs are beyond what is deemed social care I am afraid. If that were so, many more people would be granted it as many sufferers of dementia also complex have medical problems.
This is giving false hope and expectations to people. The need has to match certain criteria which are categorised by the DST after the preliminary checklist suggests that these criteria might be met, though it doesn't necessarily mean fhey will automatically do so.
The DST provides evidence to satisfy the various categories

Toddleo, you should certainly receive a copy of the completed DST and appeal if you think that their conclusion does not match with the evidence provided. Good luck with this. It's a nightmare to go through!

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Toddleo, you should certainly receive a copy of the completed DST and appeal if you think that their conclusion does not match with the evidence provided. Good luck with this. It's a nightmare to go through!
Thank for your reply. I do not actually think that mum should have qualified for CHC funding - I am surprised to be told that she only narrowly missed out to be honest. yes, she has mid stage alzheimers, but has improved leaps and bounds in the other areas, where she originally would have scored highly (falls, skin issues, etc,,)
It was really the procedure that I was worried about, because undoubtedly she will get worse as she progresses on her alzheimer's journey, and I want to be prepared for that stage.
Is it written down anywhere that you should be sent copies of all paperwork including the DST after the panel hearing? and, who should I be complaining to?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
"Following every assessment or review you should be sent a written decision as to whether you are entitled to NHS continuing healthcare together with reasons for the decision."

The above words are taken from the following publication.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../NHS_CHC_Public_Information_Leaflet_Final.pdf

You would have to contact the CHC assessment team of the CCG of your area.
if you do not have their address, I would try to phone them.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
"Following every assessment or review you should be sent a written decision as to whether you are entitled to NHS continuing healthcare together with reasons for the decision."

The above words are taken from the following publication.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../NHS_CHC_Public_Information_Leaflet_Final.pdf

You would have to contact the CHC assessment team of the CCG of your area.
if you do not have their address, I would try to phone them.
perfect Saffie, many thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar