CHC funded v self funded cost difference

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
Dad has just gone into a nursing home, we were told by the hospital transfer co ordinator that he would get full CHC funding. I asked the manager at the nursing home how much per week this amounts to and she said £650 I asked if he was self funded how much would it be and was told £850 and the NHS would pay £112 on top of that for his nursing care.
Why does it cost more for the same room, and care in the same place?!

Kon Dealer

Account Closed
Apr 25, 2015
Dad has just gone into a nursing home, we were told by the hospital transfer co ordinator that he would get full CHC funding. I asked the manager at the nursing home how much per week this amounts to and she said £650 I asked if he was self funded how much would it be and was told £850 and the NHS would pay £112 on top of that for his nursing care.
Why does it cost more for the same room, and care in the same place?!
Because the care home is being underfunded by the local CCG and they are trying to make up the difference. i.e. you are paying a subsidy for the state-funded residents. You can tell them that you refuse to pay a subsidy unless it can be demonstrated that your father is receiving benefits (e.g. better room, higher quality food more personal care etc) than the state-funded residents.