1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

CHC funded v self funded cost difference

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by katie1, Apr 27, 2015.

1. katie1

katie1 Registered User

Aug 5, 2014
    Kendal Cumbria
    Dad has just gone into a nursing home, we were told by the hospital transfer co ordinator that he would get full CHC funding. I asked the manager at the nursing home how much per week this amounts to and she said £650 I asked if he was self funded how much would it be and was told £850 and the NHS would pay £112 on top of that for his nursing care.
    Why does it cost more for the same room, and care in the same place?!

2. Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer Account Closed

Apr 25, 2015
    Because the care home is being underfunded by the local CCG and they are trying to make up the difference. i.e. you are paying a subsidy for the state-funded residents. You can tell them that you refuse to pay a subsidy unless it can be demonstrated that your father is receiving benefits (e.g. better room, higher quality food more personal care etc) than the state-funded residents.