CHC (Continuing Healthcare) support thread

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thanks Peggy. It's very helpful to have this important link repeated. Also every post bumps the thread and we really want it to be seen by any TP member who might be dealing with CHC issues.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
There is a currently active thread about applying retrospectively for CHC funding (after the person concerned has died) which may well be of relevance and interest to some members who may not have spotted it.

There may also be people who have applied for this, successfully or unsuccessfully, who would like to discuss their experience on the this thread.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
The revised DST arrived today for our comments. Sigh. In spite of MIL's condition deteriorating severely in the past couple of months, she's down to 1 severe and 2 high. On 31st December, CCG advised that her eligibility is to be reconsidered by a multi-disciplinary panel. Here we go again.... I'll keep you all posted re the outcome.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It has occurred to me to wonder whether people sometimes underestimate the amount of preparation you really need to do both for the initial checklist and for an assessment meeting. All the evidence you will be providing will be probably be known to you as you are the expert on the person you care for. If others are extensively involved in the care (either in a CH or in the home) it could be really useful to get appropriate evidence from the. But when and where evidence is needed is dictated by the process and what is required for each domain and you probably need extensive notes to try to ensure you don't forget important stuff.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Concentrating on digging deep for evidence in the domains that can score P or S, especially P, can be useful. Obviously not to the exclusion of other domains.

Oldbeauty

Feb 21, 2016
Advice please

Hi, I wondered if anyone could offer any advice please. My mother has been in and out of hospital since October. Initially heart failure and fluid on the lungs, then went home but unfortunately broke her hip. Back in hospital for an operation then sent to a smaller hospital for rehabilitation but whilst there , and despite warning staff on numerous occasions, she fell and broke the same leg – we have made a formal complaint, but this is yet to be dealt with. Mum back in hospital just before Christmas for another operation and has been in hospital ever since. Now bedridden, doubly incontinent and although not formally diagnosed, we’ve been told she has vascular dementia. We have also been told that she needs 24 hour nursing care.

She has been on the same ward since December but 3 days ago was moved to another ward as they said it would be in her best interests. We had an assessment meeting Friday with CHC nurse and social worker and mum scored one - severe, three – high, three – moderate, and SW and family thought high on another two sections but CHC nurse thought moderate. The CHC nurse asked a nurse to come in from the new ward for his opinion – he had only met mum that morning! We asked why a nurse was not asked from the ward mum had been on for over 2 months and were told that there was no one available. CHC and SW have agreed and are making a recommendation that mum has CHC full contribution and CHC will write a report to submit to CCG panel.

However CHC nurse has warned us that the CCG might not agree with it, as she believes there is not enough documentary evidence! CHC nurse said that the previous ward should have kept more detailed notes. Needless to say we are furious – can we complain about this lack of note keeping? Also can we ask CHC nurse for a copy of the report that she submits to CCG? Many thanks for any help or advice you can give us.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Whoever thought to post the YouTube video thank you so much.

I've studied it. I'vee watched it studiously and will do so again. Ive also made some notes. It's such an eye opener and I think I have a really good grip on this now thanks to the help in it.
I would advise everyone to watch it. I've also taken advice from someone who does CHC appeals for spinal cord Injured people.

It's my mums meeting tomorrow. Wish me well.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Have you got an EPA. I was told tonight that if you have that you can have a copy.

Have you watched the video.

If not do watch it . It's all in there.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
I was told that you need one of these
Complex, intense and unpredictable health care needs to qualify. If one says low and the other high you've got to go with the higher but they can note the dispute

Sounds like you've done well. Wait and see what happens. She might be talking out of her backside...hopefully.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi, I wondered if anyone could offer any advice please. My mother has been in and out of hospital since October. Initially heart failure and fluid on the lungs, then went home but unfortunately broke her hip. Back in hospital for an operation then sent to a smaller hospital for rehabilitation but whilst there , and despite warning staff on numerous occasions, she fell and broke the same leg – we have made a formal complaint, but this is yet to be dealt with. Mum back in hospital just before Christmas for another operation and has been in hospital ever since. Now bedridden, doubly incontinent and although not formally diagnosed, we’ve been told she has vascular dementia. We have also been told that she needs 24 hour nursing care.

She has been on the same ward since December but 3 days ago was moved to another ward as they said it would be in her best interests. We had an assessment meeting Friday with CHC nurse and social worker and mum scored one - severe, three – high, three – moderate, and SW and family thought high on another two sections but CHC nurse thought moderate. The CHC nurse asked a nurse to come in from the new ward for his opinion – he had only met mum that morning! We asked why a nurse was not asked from the ward mum had been on for over 2 months and were told that there was no one available. CHC and SW have agreed and are making a recommendation that mum has CHC full contribution and CHC will write a report to submit to CCG panel.

However CHC nurse has warned us that the CCG might not agree with it, as she believes there is not enough documentary evidence! CHC nurse said that the previous ward should have kept more detailed notes. Needless to say we are furious – can we complain about this lack of note keeping? Also can we ask CHC nurse for a copy of the report that she submits to CCG? Many thanks for any help or advice you can give us.

I'm struggling to understand the procedure being followed here. What should happen is that someone (often a nurse) should go through the checklist ideally in your presence and getting information from you. If the checklist then warrants it, your mum should be considered at the assessment meeting (where they use the Decision Support Tool) which, as I understand it, you are entitled to attend.

I presume the CHC nurse that you mention is one designated by the hospital to go through the checklist of patients who might qualify. I think you should be grateful to the CHC nurse for warning you about the hospital's failure. But don't get furious yet, all is not lost.

There is no reason why you should not be present at the DST meeting. In fact they really need you there to tell the whole story as the hospital has been so slack. The hospital has let your mum down very badly indeed but concentrate if you can on the decision and insist that you are present. And you certainly have a right to see the checklist information that the nurse is passing on. You don't need a POA to do this.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Best of luck Old Beauty. I'm out of the discussion/battle as my MIL had a downturn last week and is now on end of life care.

Oldbeauty

Feb 21, 2016
Many thanks Stanleypj, sorry if I didn't explain myself properly. Three weeks ago we had a meeting with OT, nurse, physio and they went through checklist with us and my mum scored high enough to have full assessment meeting with CHC nurse and SW which took place last Friday. They have recommended full contribution for CHC, so CHC nurse now preparing report to submit to CCG. We were just disappointed when CHC nurse mentioned about this lack of detailed note keeping by mum's previous ward, which she was on for nearly 2 months, and are worried that our application may fail due to this. Mum has an EPA but not a LPA for Health and Welfare. Will just have to keep everything crossed until we hear from CCG, CHC nurse has said we should hear in 2 weeks - is this usual timeframe in your experience? Thank you

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Many thanks Stanleypj, sorry if I didn't explain myself properly. Three weeks ago we had a meeting with OT, nurse, physio and they went through checklist with us and my mum scored high enough to have full assessment meeting with CHC nurse and SW which took place last Friday. They have recommended full contribution for CHC, so CHC nurse now preparing report to submit to CCG. We were just disappointed when CHC nurse mentioned about this lack of detailed note keeping by mum's previous ward, which she was on for nearly 2 months, and are worried that our application may fail due to this. Mum has an EPA but not a LPA for Health and Welfare. Will just have to keep everything crossed until we hear from CCG, CHC nurse has said we should hear in 2 weeks - is this usual timeframe in your experience? Thank you

Thanks for the clarification Oldbeauty. I understand now. It's a great pity that the the nurse mentioned her doubts to you. If the assessment meeting has recommended CHC then it usually happens, as I understand it. And if they do quibble over the hospital's lack of professionalism in not recording adequately it should be clear that that doesn't alter the facts. The two week wait probably just means that that's when they next meet.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Oldbeauty

Feb 21, 2016
Thanks for the clarification Oldbeauty. I understand now. It's a great pity that the the nurse mentioned her doubts to you. If the assessment meeting has recommended CHC then it usually happens, as I understand it. And if they do quibble over the hospital's lack of professionalism in not recording adequately it should be clear that that doesn't alter the facts. The two week wait probably just means that that's when they next meet.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks Stanleypj, my sister-in-law has reminded me that the CHC nurse is sending her report to a local panel of clinicians first and if they agree it will then be sent to CCG, so another hurdle. I've had a look at all the information on web and there's no mention of this being done before report is submitted to CCG, perhaps it's something only our Local Health Authority does? Has anyone come across this before. Thank you

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
AS I understand it, the meeting that makes a decision as to whether the person meets the criteria and then sends there decision to the CCG for approval or otherwise is normally made up of people who know the person concerned and chaired by someone impartial whose job is to chair such meetings. In Sue's case, the meeting was made up of her SW, the DN who knew her well and had done the checklist. and the head of the local Adult Mental Health Team who had had oversight for several years, and I also attended. We were told that, in our area, the CCG hardly ever refused to endorse the recommendation.

So I have no idea what this panel of clinicians is or how they come into it.