CHC (Continuing Healthcare) support thread

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Thank you for your words of support AlsoConfused. When my mother was well she was very strong and articulate and always fought for other people's rights.

So sad to see how badly the sick and elderly are treated in our society, you never really understand what impact this has on people until you have experienced it yourself, as I am sure many of you will know.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I have raised this and other points with the CQC. And will be looking for another CH."

I'd be very inclined to ask the LA, who have a legal duty of care to ensure that her medical and social needs are being met, to find an alternative placement as a priority.

From what you say there are people, apart from yourself, not satisfied with the standard of care provided, you have mentioned the SW and sister at the leg ulcer clinic, there may be others.

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Thank you nitram, I think you are spot on.
Having other people's opinions who understand this journey really is a great help and helps me to get things in perspective.

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Many of you may already be aware of this, but I have just been reading about it for the first time. I won't post the link I am reading from in case it is advertising but if you look up the The Coughlan case and the The Grogan case, I found it made very interesting reading.

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Now that I know it is ok to refer to

http://caretobedifferent.co.uk/the-...ur-9-point-checklist-for-nhs-continuing-care/

I am just composing my letter of complaint about the way that the checklist was carried out and I would like to quote point 7

'If the assessors seem particularly obstructive, they could be in breach of the Theft Act 1968.'

I have tried googling this but so far can't find anything where this was referred to in connection with the Coughlan or Grogan case and am having difficulty trying to word this into my letter. Any suggestions appreciated.

Or am I just getting carried away, can the person who carries out the check list even be classified as the assessor? probably not but I really want to hit my point hard about this as I am so upset by the way vulnerable mother was treated by this person.

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Thanks nitram; that is an interesting read this bit

'Many families also report that the formal notes taken during a Continuing Care assessment are often wrong, and that what is discussed verbally in an assessment and what actually gets written down are two different thing[/U]s. Families have also reported that written notes have sometimes been altered after an assessment meeting and behind the family’s back. This would appear to be either gross incompetence on the part of assessors, or a deliberate attempt to render the elderly person ineligible for funding and force them to sell their home to pay for care. This is particularly interesting given the section on false accounting in the Theft Act':

That was exactly what happened in our case as what was stated in the checklist meeting and was written was entirely different. How ever in our case this was just the checklist so can't really make too big a deal about it.

Any way the office of the public guardian has given me a sentence to quote which basically means because my mother was questioned without my presence or consent as her appointed attorney health and welfare that this nullifies any rulings or decisions made as a result of their unauthorized dealings with a vulnerable adult.

But I am still really angry that my mother should be taken advantage of in this way. How many more ill and elderly people are taken advantage of like this in order to try and deprive them of their rights :mad:

Last edited:

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
MMSE Three Stage Command, read and write a short sentence.

So the check list assessor carried out part of the checklist without my presence or my authority as my LO's attorney health and welfare.

As advised by the Office for the Public Guardian, this nullifies any findings.

But I am still writing a detailed complaint letter to correct the falsehoods stated in her document.

For cognition she writes that my LO 'was able to follow a three stage command, read and write a short sentence' MMSE scores 26/30 .....she says 'see attachment' but none enclosed.

I have googled this and am trying to find out more about it, but for sure I know that my LO can not retain enough information to even switch on her tv using the remote control.

She certainly can not write anything more than a word she would struggle with.

Does anyone know where I can see a copy of this MMSE scoring thing?

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
DST ammendment

Last night I was not using my own system and downloaded a copy of the DST for reference and found it to be June 2016 (Amended) and thought 'that's not what my file copy says'

Now on my system and just checked, my file copy says November 2012 (Revised).

I can't do a document comparison because one is *.doc and the other *.pdf but a quick glance shows that they have changed some numbering (i) (ii)... to (a) (b)... and page breaks appear at different places in the text.

I don't know whether or not an amendment can include material changes and suggest that everybody now works from the 2016 document.

>>>June 2016 (Amended) DST<<<

EDIT
Had a look to see if I could find the difference between amendment and revision when used in gov.uk documents and found

amendment
An effect that changes the text of legislation. The term ‘amended’ is also sometimes used on legislation.gov.uk to indicate an effect that changes the meaning of the legislation even though the text itself is not changed.

revised legislation
We use the terms ‘revise’, ‘revised’ and ‘revision’ to refer to the editorial process of incorporating amendments and carrying through other effects into legislation.

Glossary at end of http://www.legislation.gov.uk/help

Apparently an amendment can be an effect that changes the meaning without changing the text!!!

Last edited:

Marbella79

May 2, 2015
IRP advice

Hello all,

Really hoping for some thoughts from those of you that have been through an IRP, as it'sheading towards me at speed.

What are the key things that can overthrow a decision (most of our points relate to how process was run and incorrect application of national framework.....)?

What sort of approach, language, tone etc will engage the panel in right way?

Since we requested the IRP the process has got worse - no transparency or communication with family advocate as to why the delays etc. Worth bringing this in to the discussion or focus only on original case and how decisions were made? The whole thing has been a total shambles over almost 3 years.

Many thanks, hoping for some guidance....x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think you are best concentrating on incorrect procedure, this should be clear cut unlike assessments which nearly always include a degree of judgement.

My first inclination was to say stick with the original assessment as that is what you are complaining about but if the review really is independent proof of non compliance to the appeal/review process might strengthen your case - the whole system is not fit for purpose.

Have you read
http://caretobedifferent.co.uk/nhs-continuing-healthcare-independent-review-panel/

and

http://caretobedifferent.co.uk/nhs-continuing-healthcare-independent-review-former-chair-speaks-out/

You might also get some useful info by trawling through
http://caretobedifferent.co.uk/category/nhs-continuing-healthcare/

Ihtl

Jan 19, 2016
I'm visiting the GP with my dad later today to get the ball rolling on CHC funding. I'm prepared for a long battle.

Edit: GP had no idea what I was talking about, even though I asked the receptionist for a CHC assessment before I went ahead with booking the appointment. Somewhat disappointed but not surprised given what I've read.

I did, however, manage to get hold of someone from my local CCG who advised to write in detailing my health and from there they'll sort out an initial assessment.

Last edited:

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Has anyone bought the How to get the NHS to Pay for Care book they sell on their website?