CHC at home - is it possible?

flossielime

May 8, 2014
Care at home when assessed as EMI Nursing
Well the on going my dad's situation continues.

After viewing a few EMI nursing homes. I have seen 2 ok ones but they are some distance from home. The 2 I saw close to home were grim. sitting waiting to die places.

I have a job, 2 kids, mother in a home (not EMI) and I am carer for MIL who has too many health/social needs to even start! So with that in mind I need my dad close if I am ever to visit.

It was not clear how any of the home would deal with my dad's extreme fall risk. He has one to one support in hospital, it appears that this cant be offered in homes. So he would fall minutes after entering a home.

My dad appears to have 'passed' the NHS CHC checklist to qualify for NHS continuing care. This cant be topped up so my dad would not get one to one in a home.

I want to bring my dad home for these reasons among others. I think in other areas people can get NHS CHC at home. Apparently no one has ever got CHC at home in this area. I find this hard to believe but that is the view of the social worker.

The SW went on t say that care at home could not even be considered as my dad needs EMI nursing care. He apparently has to go somewhere with a RMN. I suspect that this is load of b*****ks but would appreciate other peoples experiences.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
When CHC is granted there should be a care plan detailing how the care is to be provided, it can be in a residential or domestic situation.

If the plan states that one to one care is required the NHS should provide the funding to achieve this.

Equally if the plan requires that an RMN should be available this will limit where the care can be provided.

flossielime

May 8, 2014
Thanks nitram,

The care plan would be interesting to see! who produces that ? the ward or social worker?

I dont believe my dad;s behaviour is such that an RMN is required. I suspect this is the social worker blagging.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"The care plan would be interesting to see! who produces that ? the ward or social worker?"

Neither, it's part and parcel of granting CHC against his assessed medical needs, contact the CCG.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
When my Husband was given CHC he was allocated 4 hours a day 1 to 1 care as his mobility was so bad.Pete was already in a CH and the Carers needed the extra help to keep him safe. Nitram has given some good advice-I hope it all works out for you

Love,

Lyn T