CHC Assessment

miggie

Jun 27, 2012
Midlands
I need a bit of help regarding CHC full assessment.
My Mother was diagnosed with AD about 18 months ago. Following a hospital stay in March this year she was assessed for CHC (checklist completed) and, as a result was referred for the full assessment (DST). I am still waiting for that assessment to take place and feel I am being ignored or "fobbed off" by the CHC team. One month ago they told me they were "trying to allocate a nurse assessor", since then I have heard nothing.
Is 4 months after the initial assessment a reasonable amount of time to have to wait and, if not, how do I make an official complaint about this?
Many thanks for any help and advice.

crazyfish

Oct 12, 2012
I need a bit of help regarding CHC full assessment.
My Mother was diagnosed with AD about 18 months ago. Following a hospital stay in March this year she was assessed for CHC (checklist completed) and, as a result was referred for the full assessment (DST). I am still waiting for that assessment to take place and feel I am being ignored or "fobbed off" by the CHC team. One month ago they told me they were "trying to allocate a nurse assessor", since then I have heard nothing.
Is 4 months after the initial assessment a reasonable amount of time to have to wait and, if not, how do I make an official complaint about this?
Many thanks for any help and advice.

HI Miggie,
you are being fobbed off.
28 days should be the max time you should have to wait.
(trying to allocate a nurse assessor ) total rubbish.
Demand to speak to the CHC coordinator.
Put an official complaint in writing and make sure you have all their replies in writing.
Download the nat framework for CHC and try to read it .
All the procedures that the NHS should abide by are in there.
You must try and understand this framework as best you can as it will help you to achieve full funding.
http://www.dh.gov.uk/health/2012/11/continuing-healthcare-revisions/
Don't stand for any nonsense from the so called professionals .
Don't agree or sign anything without checking it out first.
Good luck.
MICK

Lancshiker

Apr 17, 2013
Contact your local CCG (clinical commissioning group) who are now responsible for continuing healthcare. The NHS has just gone through a major reorganisation and it looks like your the victim of some organisational confusion. Your local CCG website will tell you how to make a complaint.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
mum had her initial assessment in February but the full one wasn't until the end of June. I am still waiting to hear.

crazyfish

Oct 12, 2012
mum had her initial assessment in February but the full one wasn't until the end of June. I am still waiting to hear.

Hi Soobee,
You should have been notified of the result very shortly after the completion of the full assessment.
Chase this up ASAP.
You should also receive a copy of the assessment and result.
Ask why you have not received this.
Unfortunately many of the people carrying out assessments do not follow the guidelines which are set out in the NAt framework for CHC.
So in many cases you must keep on chasing and making a nuisance of yourself.
Mick

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
apparently it has to go to panel, which only meet once a month. The assessor is now on Maternity Leave. I will leave it another couple of weeks and then chase it up.

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
We had the initial checklist assessment and then the full one less than 10 days later. It has taken her 2 weeks to type up the report.
We are in Cornwall.

You need to hound them, and definately complain. Good luck and stay strong.

miggie

Jun 27, 2012
Midlands
Many thanks for the replies.

Following my email to the CHC team / coordinator on Monday (no reply received) and my phone call to the CCG yesterday - "someone will call you back" (no call received), plus my email to the CCG this morning (no response as yet) strangely enough my brother has just had a phone call from the CHC team.

They informed him that they have lost their copy of the CHC checklist and were aiming to start the whole procedure again! They seemed somewhat surprised to hear that this would not be necessary because we have our own copy of the completed checklist and can supply them with a copy!

They have now decided they can carry out the next stage of the assessment next Tuesday. Apparently just one person will be coming to do this. Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks again.

J W

Apr 19, 2013
When we had a full assessment in which CHC was turned down,ie in front of the panel,checklist etc,we had another assessment a few months later to see if another full assessment was required, this was carried out by just one person who said not enough change to warrant going before the panel again.