CHC and LA funding...

Marbella79

May 2, 2015
Hello all
We are heading towards the Independent Review Panel with NHS England, following a 3 year battle to try and secure CHC funding for my mother.

In the unlikely event we manage to get the ineligible decision overturned, does anyone know how the award of CHC funding would integrate with the LA funding system? My mother is currently LA funded as she its capital depleted. Should CHC funding kick in, how does that all work and who co-ordinates one source possibly stopping and one starting up?

And what if LA funding were to be withdrawn as CHC funding kicks in, then further down the line CHC is withdrawn again? Surely we wouldn't have to start again with the whole LA process?

Many thanks for any help.

CCGcrusher

Aug 24, 2016
Hello all
We are heading towards the Independent Review Panel with NHS England, following a 3 year battle to try and secure CHC funding for my mother.

In the unlikely event we manage to get the ineligible decision overturned, does anyone know how the award of CHC funding would integrate with the LA funding system? My mother is currently LA funded as she its capital depleted. Should CHC funding kick in, how does that all work and who co-ordinates one source possibly stopping and one starting up?

And what if LA funding were to be withdrawn as CHC funding kicks in, then further down the line CHC is withdrawn again? Surely we wouldn't have to start again with the whole LA process?

Many thanks for any help.

The very fact the IRP are going to review your case means that there are questions about the ineligibility decision that need to be explored. My experience of the CHC funding process is that it is "loaded" against you to save money. Go through the original DST medical summary and levels of need in each domain to make sure they are consistent. Do not be fobbed off with the statement "the Coughlan test has been applied". I have been through the IRP process (and won). You will be asked to present your evidence first. Make sure it is accurate and comprehensive. They are allowed to give their evidence after you- it puts you at a disadvantage, so you need to anticipate how the CCG might respond and preempt their arguments.