CHC and destroyed records

marianne123

Jul 10, 2015
Hi

I applied for Continuing Healthcare for my mother in September 2012. This is an ongoing battle to get progress because they are dealing with so many requests. Sadly my mum has since died - after 10 years in care homes and nursing homes. The last nursing home state they have destroyed the records. Does any one have experience of claiming C Healthcare and destruction of records?

Marianne123

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Have you informed the CHC office that the Care Home have destroyed the records? If the case has been ongoing since 2012 I believe they should have much information already. Also they can obtain more from the GP and Mental Health Consultant.

Please let the office know that your Mother is now deceased and ask if for the case to be reviewed urgently as 2/3 years seems far too long.

I hope others will be along soon with more experience of this.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
How long must I keep records and do I need a destruction policy?

There are specified records about the care home and residents that must be retained by the care home for a period of three years from the date of the last entry in the particular record. The specified records are listed in Schedules 3 and 4 of the Care Homes Regulations 2001 as amended.

The limitation of legal proceedings legislation places a 6 year maximum period during which an action (either civil or criminal) can be brought before a court. This could apply to claims for damages made by a dissatisfied patient / relative arising out of the destruction of records.

http://www.rnha.co.uk/rnha_faq.php?r=MAYVHE18995