CHC after being sectioned

nipper

Dec 27, 2012
hertfordshire
I might be commenting here in the wrong forum but my wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers about 9 years ago (at 61 years). About 5 years ago when she was in hospital she was trying to wander out of the ward and being aggressive to staff and other patients. As a consequence I was called to a meeting with numerous medical staff and told that my wife needed to be sectioned and sent to an assessment unit. It was not a discussion but I was told what was going to happen - no choice. She was held under section 2 for 28 days. During this time she did get treatment to calm her down and and the end of the period I was told that for her benefit and mine she had to go into a nursing home which again I did not want to do this but felt I was left with little option. This is a shortened version of the events.

She has been in the nursing ever since and is now very calm but immobile and doesnt talk so the situation has progressed. However I have a question because someone said to me that because she had been sectioned she should be able to receive the Continuing healthcare paid. We have had had CHC for some time but it was refused at the last review and about a year now we have been self funding. Are you able to say whether a previous case of a person being sectioned means that CHC become a right to receive.

If I have posted this in the wrong place please feel free to move it elsewhere. Thanks you.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Contact the nursing home & ask the matron, then if they feel that your wife fits the criteria you then ask your GP to start the CHC referral.

I am doing this for my Dad so I am going through this process.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE
Apparently I have been lead up the garden path & down again so take no notice of what I posted!

Apologies

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
To get section 117 funding it has to be a section 3 not a section 2 as is the case here.
Being sectioned doesn't affect the eligibility either way to getting CHC you still have meet all the criteria, having been sectioned doesn't help in any way.
My wife was section 3 for over 6 months along with 4 others who all moved to the same nursing home and none of them managed to get CHC even the one who had cancer.
You might get CHC some people do, but for AZ alone it's not that easy.
K

Turner87

Dec 17, 2018
We had the same scenario as you, they weren't willing to entertain the idea of chc until he became physically unwell aswell as mental issues. I read elsewhere on the forum that they only give it to you if they think you wont be using it for long.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband entered a nursing home with CHC funding. He was assessed annually and he died four years later with CHC still in place. He was 62 when diagnosed so not elderly and died aged 73.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts