Chat room

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Has TP ever considered implementing a chat room? or is that too hard because u'd need full time administrators?

I just thought wouldn't it be great if u could get online and just chat in those moments when things are suddenly tough and u want to talk to someone?

I know we can post here, but for example today i found out my company got taken over by another so I kind of lost my job, (don't panic, I got a new one with the new company) but it hit me so hard i think because i felt like as usual, life was out of control - as it is when u are dealing with a loved one with this disease - and i really wanted to talk, right then and there with others

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Nat - think the good thing now is that people are posting regularly - so although we have no chat room people normally resond very quickly and a virtual chat can take place.
Love Helen

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Nat,

I was at the Alzheimer's Society yesterday for a couple of meetings, and the question of chat rooms came up [we were actually discussing our experiences with TP with a charitable organisation for a disability group that is considering setting something up something similar, and they asked about chat rooms].

I'm not an official spokesperson in any way, but I think that there are several things we might note:

- the key role of TP is to provide support for the people who have dementia, and their carers in fulfilling their role.

- services such as TP - and chat rooms - require resources, both to set up, and to maintain. Those resources are infrastructural, and also involve people.

- the Internet is advancing rapidly, with new capabilities appearing all the time. Besides chat rooms, there are also blogs, and instant messaging to consider - and what about the whole area of video conferencing?

The Alzheimer's Society needs to advance in a measured way, and one that protects any new service, and that does not take scarce funds from areas that are more closely related to the needs of a person with dementia.

... in other words, a chat room is neither counted in, nor counted out, at some time in the future.

For the remainder of this year, at least, there are major infrastructural changes planned for the Alzheimer's Society Web presence, so I'd be suggesting not to hold your breath...;)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Nat

I understand what you are saying about having someone to chat to, but for me I prefer the forum.

I like to read the posts and think about them before I reply. Quite often someone has already said what I wanted to say, but that's OK. Chat rooms move so quickly, it would be difficult to give considered support. I also find it helpful to read the posts in sequence.

During the day there's almost always someone online, so it can at times be almost like a chat room. I appreciate that it's not quite as easy for our friends from down under to get an instant response, but on the whole, if it's not broke.........!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I understand what you are saying about having someone to chat to, but for me I prefer the forum
I know what you mean.

For me, the power of TP is that it is patient-centric, helping carers do their best for the loved ones for whom they care, and, for me, the TP style of forum works really well.

I'd never have bothered going beyond the first page of TP had it been a chat room.

However, different people have different needs, and caring can isolate the carer from life in general - making a virtual place like a chat room something of unique value.

Jury is out, I guess...:)

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Hello Nat,

I too like the format as it is. Like Skye says sometimes you need to think a bit about a reply, particularly if there is a message from someone having a really bad time. I think there is the risk that a quick reply might "come out all wrong" - it certainly would from me.

Also as others have said, there are plenty of people on line at the same time, so I've never felt any post I've made has gone unanswered for very long.

It is nice too running through old posts too because quite often a particularly problem I've had has been raised before.

PS to everyone else re video conferencing - please don't, I do a lot of posting in really slobby gear and it would give quite the wrong impression!!!!

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Hehehe I guess the votes in then...as for plenty of people being on line...feel sorry for the poor girl who lives in Australia who posts when all you guys are sleeping!

I don't think a chat room would be appropriate for much of the discussion that goes on here...I guess I was just reeling and feeling alone...

I understand why you don't want one though, so fair enough...

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi Nat

Just thought i'd jump in here............i understand from both sides, i too like TP as it is for advice, support etc ............and yes, when someone is having a difficult time, answers need to be thought out................. but on the other hand i think your idea is great...............carers can sometimes need a different kind of support and that is possible through a chat room...............like anything, its down to choice, those who don't have a need, don't need to use it................personally, i would like to see it offered as a service to the existing services offered by AS and i for one would possibly use it.

Just my thoughts.

Love Alex x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry you feel so alone at times Nat. The difference in time is a bit isolating, I know.

I can`t pass an opinion about chat rooms as I`ve only tried a couple, don`t know whether they are all like the ones I tried, but they were not for me.

Sometimes I think the Tea Room must be the nearest we have to a chat room, but perhaps not.

I don`t know what can be done to help you through the really bad and lonely times. I wish I did.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
jc141265 said:
feel sorry for the poor girl who lives in Australia who posts when all you guys are sleeping!

Dear Nat, I'm sorry you're feeling so alone. But a chat room wouldn't help, would it? You'd still be wanting conpany while most of us are asleep.

On the positive side, I love reading your posts when I first log on in the morning -- and I guess you have plenty of reading to do when you get up.

(By the way, I wouldn't vote against if people want it, I just prefer the forum)

Love and hugs,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Before I found TP , I use to be On The USA Alzheimer's web site that had a Chat room.

What they do , they have a thread in the Main room , telling every one what time Chat room is open

Then those that wanted to pop in could , I only went in a few times first time some young lady was having a crises with her grandmother in her home and just wanted support at that moment, so we all supported her, so she did not feel so alone at the time .

yes it would need more volunteer moderators , to organize it all , because like jc141265 says

as for plenty of people being on line...feel sorry for the poor girl who lives in Australia who posts when all you guys are sleeping!

So when jc141265 post we in England are all asleep even if they was a chat room on TP , But how the USA AZ work it out Chat room was open 9pm UK time , they seem to have work out the time zone .

So a lot of thought in organizing would have to go in to it, If they was every to be on in the future .

Any way count me in , as a Volunteer Moderator if they was any future plans to open one in TP , Mind you like Bruce say I won't hold my breath :)

Oh and the AZ Site in USA , still get Million of Thread ,post , even with a Chat room , could be because its not open all the time .

Last edited:

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Hello Maggie. I have been on the USA Alz chat room and I never see anyone in there. I have been in there today and still no one. Assuming we are talking the same site. That site does post interesting articles about possible drugs that show very good results for the treat of Alz.
cris

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
lol @ :) Kandi

Sounds like we could do with you in the tea room , My word game has not gone into a 3 word game, came and join in :)

Kandi

Jul 3, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
Chatroom

Thanks Margarita for appreciating a sense of humour. Ultimately, it gets me through a range of feelings. I will visit the tearoom. Pitty there wasn't a scotch room....LOL.
I am still waiting in anticipation of a chat room..........

Kandi:eek:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I will visit the tearoom
you should be aware that, although the only drinking crockery there is teacups - there is no embargo on putting any liquid uyou like in them and drinking....:D

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Brucie said:
you should be aware that, although the only drinking crockery there is teacups -

Some of us (the more genteel ones!) bring our own glasses ......... and even bottles!:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti