Channel 4 Dispatches

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Britain's Pensioner Care Scam, on now only been watching for 5 minutes-shocked, not sure I can watch anymore.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Britain's Pensioner Care Scam, on now only been watching for 5 minutes-shocked, not sure I can watch anymore.

I am watching on the plus 1 channel. It is disgusting how many people are being left in their pyjamas while the carer plays on his phone or the old lady who is left in a filthy house. Falsifying log books is something I have complained about to our care agency and to the LA about to no avail.

I only hope the CQC, our local councillor and the LA complaints department are watching this.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
My dad has been angry tonight saying the one carer just sits on her phone, the times she puts in the folder are not correct and now she's suggested bringing her kids to play in the garden.
Yes dad has dementia however I am believing him as each night the log says left 6pm meds taken. I arrive home 5.50 no sign of carer and meds not taken
Complained to the care company however they said but the folder says .....

Mich09

Jan 13, 2016
My dad has been angry tonight saying the one carer just sits on her phone, the times she puts in the folder are not correct and now she's suggested bringing her kids to play in the garden.
Yes dad has dementia however I am believing him as each night the log says left 6pm meds taken. I arrive home 5.50 no sign of carer and meds not taken

Would your dad be agreeable to you putting cctv in? You could have pointed at the door

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK

Still Easter holidays? Of course she wants to bring her children to play in the garden, her own baby sitting 'service' has probably let her down or she did not have one in place. can they not see what risks they are taking? years ago while talking to an ex-agency carer, she told me the attitude seemed to be that if the client was 'well' [alive] when they left the house, then all fine. Actually that was 15 years ago and seems to be that very little has changed.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks both. Just watched dispatches and boy it opens your eyes.
I am tempted by cctv. The care company said they use cm2000 phone monitoring to check the times the carers are there however can't tell me how it works.
I am going to follow up again especially after watching this. It's disgusting to think this goes on.
Why's it the family who are made to feel villains for suggesting things are not right. Tomorrow I will get the ball rolling

joolzt

Apr 1, 2016
Edinburgh
Thanks both. Just watched dispatches and boy it opens your eyes.
I am tempted by cctv. The care company said they use cm2000 phone monitoring to check the times the carers are there however can't tell me how it works.
I am going to follow up again especially after watching this. It's disgusting to think this goes on.
Why's it the family who are made to feel villains for suggesting things are not right. Tomorrow I will get the ball rolling

Thank you for sharing this. I am currently getting quotes from carers and now have extra questions to ask them, thank to you, so I can be sure they are there at the right times. I didn't think that they would cheat, guess I'm too naive.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I had much the same reaction when I watched the BBC programme 'Protecting our Parents' last year. The carers filmed on there were very good but it got me thinking that elderly people, especially those with dementia who can't readily complain themselves, are very vulnerable in such a 1:1 situation, behind closed doors.

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
The phone system works like this: the carer dials a freephone number when they arrive, and again when they leave. So there is a digital record of how long they stay.

My Mum had carers from Sevacare. They were a mixed bag but generally pleasant and capable. She (or rather my Dad) only told the company once that a particular carer was disliked and that carer didn't come again. My Dad let them move on, once they'd done their tasks. Or they sat and had a little chat with him and my Mum. Sometimes they said that they should have been at their next call 5 minutes ago! They were allowed no real time for travelling between customers. I think only once, in 2 years, did the carer not turn up as expected.

I think the problems arise when the customer lives alone. Then the carer is more likely (it seems from the programme) to bother less.

I really think that old, single people who need daily care are better off "in care". Then they have company, meals at the right time, etc. The trouble is, care has been put out to these private companies who are exploiting both the carers and the cared-for. And the boss pays himself millions.

Councils should bring care back "in house". There need to be more council-run care homes, and far more money for funding. Sadly, I don't see this happening but I think it's the only solution for an ailing, ageing population.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I am tempted by cctv.
If you are not sure about a camera you could leave a mobile phone in the house plugged in. You install an app that will either record all conversations so you will know how long the "carers" have been there and whether meds were given/offered or you can ring the phone (silently) and then listen in when the carers should be there.:)

Whatever you do be warned that listening/watching a LO can be quite distressing.:(

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks all
The care company dealt with it and dad has a new carer in whose all smiles and can't do enough
Today the other carer came in the morning said she had flu and went off
So a call to the company again to say don't send her again
Just glad I am here to follow up

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Thanks all
The care company dealt with it and dad has a new carer in whose all smiles and can't do enough
Today the other carer came in the morning said she had flu and went off
So a call to the company again to say don't send her again
Just glad I am here to follow up

Well done, have to keep on top, make it known that you are watching. Worrying that there are those that have no one looking out for them and therefore easy to get away with corner cutting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abelbeyene2015