Changing my will

Forester

Nov 10, 2015
Gloucestershire
My will, made 3 years ago, leaves everything to my partner (not married). As he now has symptoms of dementia I am worried that he may become incapable of dealing with my estate should I die. Should I change my will to make others inherit my estate, making provision for my partner of course but not leaving him to sort everything out. Hey Ho Just another thing to worry about!!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My will, made 3 years ago, leaves everything to my partner (not married). As he now has symptoms of dementia I am worried that he may become incapable of dealing with my estate should I die. Should I change my will to make others inherit my estate, making provision for my partner of course but not leaving him to sort everything out. Hey Ho Just another thing to worry about!!
You could appoint an executor who is capable of dealing with all the issues. Does he have a will? I would suggest that if he wishes to make any changes that you do it soon while he still has capacity.

In our wills, we have left everything to each other but have a back up clause in the situation that the other dies first or in the event that we die at the same time in a car accident for example. We had a lengthy discussion when we were renewing our wills and I think that is a helpful thing to do.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Who inherits if your partner predeceases you?

A common arrangement is that your partner is sole beneficiary and if he predeceases you the beneficiary is N.
The beneficiary is appointed trustee and executor.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
A friend of my family died some years ago and all her executors were dead. Fortunately she had named a firm of solicitors as backup executors, which was just as well because that led to her wishes being carried out which might otherwise not have happened. The advantage of naming a stable firm or a bank as backup is that the firm will still be around even if individuals are deceased.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Should I change my will to make others inherit?

Forester, you mention that your partner now has symptoms of dementia. At present your partner would inherit everything according to your will.

If partner then needs to go to nursing/care home, everything inherited from you would go on paying fees leaving nothing for others to inherit.

Last edited: