Changes in mental health services

Bramble68

May 11, 2013
I rang our memory clinic this week to check when mum would be getting a 6 month recall appt, which had been mentioned at her last appt when she was given her diagnosis. They tell me that everything has changed and no one will get recall appts/check ups, instead the onus will be on dementia patients (yeah, right!) or carers to contact the memory team with concerns, to get a home visit or appt, get referrals etc. They're in the process of writing to all patients, or their carers. I realise the terrific pressures on all parts of the health system, but part of me fears so many falling through the cracks, with such a profound change in the system. I was offered the number for Admiral Nurses, in case we were ever in need of their support. :D

At what point would I request more help, for mum, me and my siblings? I was hoping for this appt, so they could evaluate her, to see if she has changed or not sine diagnosis.

Thanks for any insight from anyone!

A xo

Pacucho

Gp

I have just read your post. A lot of memory clinics around the country are changing their practices, so as to be able to increase their diagnosis rates.

If you have any concerns about your mum the best thing to do is to make an appointment with her GP. This is probably the route via which the memory clinic will become involved (if necessary).

Hope this helps.