Changes in behaviour

Careforme

Apr 15, 2014
Hello, I am looking for some feedback, advice, thoughts, anything you may feel will beneficial on situation we are trying to deal with just now.

Mum attends day centre and has 1:1 sessions throughout the week. Today, we had visit from manager at day centre to let us know about mum's behaviour when she attends. Mum has alzheimers past five years now and we have seen many changes in her behaviour.

Apparently mum has been very rude, insulting and direct to others at day centre. Not wanting to cooperate, quite verbally abusive. This completely out with my mothers nature, she is a very small and timid woman. However she has been like this towards myself and my brother although now can't express any greater love and affection for my father.

Mum is not always like this towards me and does show affection although I am finding that she thinks I am some other person other than her daughter. I'd like to think I was A very patient person and can shrug off comments which does pull my heart and keep telling myself it's not her fault but it does hurt.

Day centre have discussed taking diff approach with mum and we gave them some very useful advice and tips to why or what may cause this. Recently experiencing double incontinence and a few other things.

I deep down think it's my mother showing her frustration as she finds it very difficult to communicate and hold conversations now. Although she may not remember what was said five mins ago, she is very aware of picking up on things and knows if something is just quite not right.

I could go on and on of all the things which have happened and scenarios. I know I won't be alone and my heart goes out to all of you experiencing such difficult times and would not wish for anyone.

Person at local carer centre advised contacting GP incase review of medication is needed for any aggression etc. Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you so much.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello careforme so sorry you are having to suffer this awful disease with your mother, l know what its like my hubby doesn't know who l am most of the time, and is not very nice to me, he started to get aggressive, Dr has given him anti depressants to help him calm down, also sleeping pills, as he was getting up all night. Have a word with your Mum's GP
My hubby is alot calmer, but maynot last long. Take care

Mossyanne1

Feb 10, 2015
How awful for us all. My H went through a week of telling me I had no right to be in his mothers house and I wasn't allowed to drive the car as it wasn't mine, I had to write notes to his mother when we went out in case she came back when we were out. (She passed away 30years ago) he kept going in and out of the bedrooms looking for her and told me I had no right to be sleeping in his mothers house. Just so upsetting. I was given a mild sedative to give him but didn't make a lot of difference. At the moment he is in a calmer phase but I don't know from one day to the next where his mind will be. Hope this helps, I try to just go along with it but not always easy. Hugs to you all...xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello mossyeann l am the same as you how we cope l do not know, at least we are not alone with our problems, so nice to have talking point to have a moan bless you sending you a big (((HUG )))