Changes in behaviour

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Over the last couple on months my wife has taken to tugging, grabbing, lashing out with arms and legs, at anything she sees, and there are occasional times when she will reach out gently to pick something out of the air or throw something which is not actually there. Yesterday, whilst out hoping to have a drink and snack following a short period of shopping, she took a swipe at the table and knocked things flying. These are not constant actions as for most part she sits quietly and is responsive in her normal (at this stage in the progression of the desease) manner. Recently it has also become clear that she is not recognising the true location of seating be it chairs, toilet, etc. She has been on top dosage of Ebixa (memantine) for past 4ms and Clonazepam for 3m and it is 8yrs since A/VaD diagnosis.
Have upcoming appointments to discuss with GP and Mental Health doctor but would appreciate views and experience of others beforehand. Could it be the medication or is just another outcome of the desease? Is there any support or medication used to treat this situation?

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
This is just a thought, but perhaps it's caused by an eye condition. My dad 'swipes away' at fresh air, but in his case it's because the gel at the back of his eye has detached, causing him to see a circular floater, and this was confirmed by an optometrist. Dad however thinks it's some kind of living creature that follows him, and he is amazed nobody else can see it! There must be lots reasons for this kind of behaviour though, and I hope you can find some answers for your wife.

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Wildflower, Your suggestion as to possible cause is something I hadn't thought of and could be worth investigating as my wife is due an opticians appointment and signs of cateract were found a couple of years ago. Thankyou for responding.

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
My mother used to grab at things in the air or swat a fly in front of her. It turned out to be gel in the eye. She has been diagnosed with age related macular degeneration for which she receives treatment.