change of medication

ASPIRE

Jan 9, 2014
cambridge
My wife has alzheimers and because of her moods she is going to take Sodium Valproat
can anybody tell me what side effects to expect with taking this and what could the changes be,to my wife.

Thank you Aspire

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello ASPIRE l have never heard of the drug your wife has been given, my husband is on Aricept which is normally prescribed for Alzheimers, maybe someone else will be able to help you, ♥♡♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Aspire, I know it is a mood stabiliser and is used for quite a few conditions. There probably is quite a long list of side affects as there is with most medications. Your wife may experience some she may not.

Sometimes the side affects just last for a short time so give the medication a chance but if they are causing concerns then make sure the GP/ Consultant is told.

Jay

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Aspire

Sodium Valporate is not an Alzheimers drug (as far as I know) it's a mood suppressant drug which is also used to control epilepsy and seizures. My Husband takes this drug for Bipolar 1 with mixed episodes. He also has Alzheimers.

It's difficult to say if Pete has experienced side effects with this drug as his needs are very complex-so difficult to know.

I hope others will be able to give advice

Take care

Lyn T