Change of Career

wellsey58

May 2, 2014
Saffron Walden
Hi everyone. I am 56 and helped my mother stay in her home for 2 years after she got Dementia. Visiting twice a day, cooking, cleaning, taking out, shopping, all the usual things. Mum eventually couldn't be on her own and now is at my brothers house, where she has company all day from my sister in law who is taking a break from work to care for her.
Now the question. I do a heavy, manual job and at 56 would like a bit of a career change. I have experience of somebody with Dementia and was wondering if there were jobs in the caring/visiting areas and what sort of training would I need to do and is it feasable at my age.
I feel I could have a lot to give but don't have a clue where to start.
Any tips or comments appreciated. Off to work now but will check in tonight.
Thanks in advance.

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
Think it depends whether you would want to work in the community ie as a carer visiting two or three times a day, or in a care home. You could have a look on www.jobcentreplus.co.uk for any vacancies in your area and take it from there.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi everyone. I am 56 and helped my mother stay in her home for 2 years after she got Dementia. Visiting twice a day, cooking, cleaning, taking out, shopping, all the usual things. Mum eventually couldn't be on her own and now is at my brothers house, where she has company all day from my sister in law who is taking a break from work to care for her.
Now the question. I do a heavy, manual job and at 56 would like a bit of a career change. I have experience of somebody with Dementia and was wondering if there were jobs in the caring/visiting areas and what sort of training would I need to do and is it feasable at my age.
I feel I could have a lot to give but don't have a clue where to start.
Any tips or comments appreciated. Off to work now but will check in tonight.
Thanks in advance.

Hi!..try the jobs and vacancies on the bottom of alzheimers society...the society are also running a level 2 course in certain areas...again its on the website...there are courses you can complete whilst working ie open university..whilst others are work based.. health and social courses are a good base...with your hands on experience youd have a lot to offer!..try age concern..or just put a general search on web..

Im in same boat and still caring for my dad..but doing courses aswell..and enjoying them.
Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app