Change in Treatments

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Wow. You may have read my previous messages about my Dad's paranoia and agressiveness, that finally lead to an emergency visit by the psychiatrist and CPN earlier this week.

Well the CPN came back to do the carer part of the assessment today and also to tell us what would happen next.

They are very concerned about Dad's paranoia which they say is far worse than they would expect to see in anyone with AD - usually it manifests in some suspisciouness, often the foundation being that the patient can't remember things (like where they have put something) and therefore think that there's a thief about. They spoke about "severe multiple delusions" with associated paranoia and also noted down some other delusional behaviors we hadn't thought much about like his obsession about becoming ill, going to hospital and catching MRSA. Or refusing to eat chicken for fear of catching bird flu. Also of concern was the increasing agressiveness directed towards my Mum. They took reams of notes and from the way we were filling in the carer sheet the symptoms seemed to always lean towards being the most severe you can put down.

Anyways, not only has Dad been prescribed the maximum dose of Quetiapine for his age - this will rise to 150mg per day - they are also going to switch him from Aricept to Exelon because apparently Exelon is more effective in patients who show psychotic symptoms. We are also going to get several more visits next week to see how things are progressing and have been left emergency numbers if things get bad.

I have a feeling that they are doing all this in a last-ditch attempt to get things back under control before hospitalisation becomes necessary.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Nebiroth

That sounds much more promising. I know you'll still be worried about your dad, but at least he is now being monitored. I hope the new treatment works, and you will be able to keep him at home.

Well done for getting it all organised, and good luck.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Nebiroth, Well at last you`re getting some attention for your dad. Now he will be monitored, so you will have someone to call on if necessary.
You have had a long hard struggle to get to this stage, I really hope there`ll be some improvement in yours and your dad`s life soon.
Regards Sylvia

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
I hope your Dad is showing marked signs of improvement and that you and your Mum can begin to relax. It is incredibly stressful living with someone with a mental illness. Sounds like your efforts have finally resulted in appropriate care, but if your Dad does need hospitalisation, don't fight it. My family member (with mental illness other than AD) made a good long term recovery after two sessions of being admitted to a psychiatric hospital's intensive care wing. I hope your Dad is spared this, but don't fight it if it has to be. Every best wish coming to you and your dear Mum. Nell