Change in sense of humour

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
It was certainly noticed by me. I never liked any of my husband's family mainly because their sense of humour was mocking and sneering. Those who didnt die young all got dementia - John was not like them but as he got older and dementia was approaching he too developed this crass behaviour.

Something in the theory I suspect.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Yes I agree. My dad had a great sense of humour unlike his sister who had what I call an unpleasant one. Since he has had dementia he has developed the unkind one too even before it became apparent.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
We are in severe stage, MMSE nil, but one thing which remains although he has lost a great deal of language is my husband's sense of humour.
Tre

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Mum still has a lovely sense of humour when she's engaged. Sadly this is happening less and less, she just 'zones out' a lot more now.

But when she laughs she lights up the room. :)

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband still has a lovely sense of humour for which I am very grateful - the laughter is what keeps us both going I think. If anything has changed it is only in as far as he finds mildly funny things extremely funny. It must be catching though because the more he laughs, finding general pleasure in simple things, the more I find myself laughing along with him.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My husband still has a lovely sense of humour for which I am very grateful - the laughter is what keeps us both going I think. If anything has changed it is only in as far as he finds mildly funny things extremely funny. It must be catching though because the more he laughs, finding general pleasure in simple things, the more I find myself laughing along with him.

I do this too, Lynne, even when I've not been able to understand what he's said that's so funny. Just him laughing makes me laugh genuinely, and it's a lovely thing, isn't it, to share laughter?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Anecdotal (second hand) evidence from a study of 48 people's relatives, hardly conclusive.
Many people as they get older lose some of the ability to follow more cerebral form of things, comedy included so more Mr Bean less Oscar Wilde, it's not news.
The study only relates to frontotemporal dementia which is about 2% of all those on the AZ spectrum, so it's interesting but hardly life changing for the 98% it doesn't affect.
K