Change in sense of humour

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by patsy56, Nov 10, 2015.

1. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
  2. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    It was certainly noticed by me. I never liked any of my husband's family mainly because their sense of humour was mocking and sneering. Those who didnt die young all got dementia - John was not like them but as he got older and dementia was approaching he too developed this crass behaviour.

Something in the theory I suspect.

3. Mrsbusy

Mrsbusy Registered User

Aug 15, 2015
    Yes I agree. My dad had a great sense of humour unlike his sister who had what I call an unpleasant one. Since he has had dementia he has developed the unkind one too even before it became apparent.

4. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

My sense of humour changed and I found everything hysterically funny after my initial head injury

5. tre

tre Registered User

Sep 23, 2008
    Herts
    We are in severe stage, MMSE nil, but one thing which remains although he has lost a great deal of language is my husband's sense of humour.
    Tre

6. Suzanna1969

Suzanna1969 Registered User

Mar 28, 2015
    Essex
    Mum still has a lovely sense of humour when she's engaged. Sadly this is happening less and less, she just 'zones out' a lot more now.

But when she laughs she lights up the room. :)

7. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    My husband still has a lovely sense of humour for which I am very grateful - the laughter is what keeps us both going I think. If anything has changed it is only in as far as he finds mildly funny things extremely funny. It must be catching though because the more he laughs, finding general pleasure in simple things, the more I find myself laughing along with him.

8. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    I do this too, Lynne, even when I've not been able to understand what he's said that's so funny. Just him laughing makes me laugh genuinely, and it's a lovely thing, isn't it, to share laughter?

9. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Anecdotal (second hand) evidence from a study of 48 people's relatives, hardly conclusive.
    Many people as they get older lose some of the ability to follow more cerebral form of things, comedy included so more Mr Bean less Oscar Wilde, it's not news.
    The study only relates to frontotemporal dementia which is about 2% of all those on the AZ spectrum, so it's interesting but hardly life changing for the 98% it doesn't affect.
    K

10. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    Absolutely - it's a great tonic!