Change in medication!!!!!

Careforme

Apr 15, 2014
Hello, my mother has alzheimers and I took her to doctors today to discuss her medication.

Mum has become increasingly agitated and non compliant past couple of months and slightly aggressive. It has been fedback from her day clubs and 1:1s also there have been some issues. I know truly this is not my mother and this awful disease.

She was originally on amitriptylne before going to bed although today been prescribed trazodone hydrochloride.

I appreciate everyone is different taking medication, however if you are aware of anything we should be looking out for or any advice on this medication please let me know.

I am really concerned switching these medications but GP has advised it should be ok?!?!?

Thanks so much

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello, my mother has alzheimers and I took her to doctors today to discuss her medication.

Mum has become increasingly agitated and non compliant past couple of months and slightly aggressive. It has been fedback from her day clubs and 1:1s also there have been some issues. I know truly this is not my mother and this awful disease.

She was originally on amitriptylne before going to bed although today been prescribed trazodone hydrochloride.

I appreciate everyone is different taking medication, however if you are aware of anything we should be looking out for or any advice on this medication please let me know.

I am really concerned switching these medications but GP has advised it should be ok?!?!?

Thanks so much
Hello I have no experience with this Anti depressant . I hope it works well for your mum.
My mum tried very many Anti d's before we found Prozac helped with her awfull depression.

I'm no medic but it seems from what I have read on the link below , it can help with anxiety but their is special care needed to be taken . I was wondering if an anti d that was an SSRI may be better, but as I said earlier , I am no medic

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/p....aspx?condition=Depression&medicine=Trazodone

I am sure others will be along later who can help more.

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband has done really well on Trazodone plus Zopiclone sleeping pills. Most nights he sleeps for about seven hours but is awake during the day and able to go walking with me or occasionally swimming. It did take a few weeks to adjust but no side effects once established.