Change in behaviour

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hello @Maya2018 ,
Yes, I know how you feel, my mum's behaviour is changing horribly and this week she is even refusing to go in the bath - something she normally loves. It is tough but keep posting on here and more experienced people than me will give you advice. Good luck :)

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
It may also be useful to you to check out any support in your gran’s area and you can do a post code check by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

If you find that communicating becomes an issue you can get some useful tips from a thread that can be reached by clicking on this link https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/

Now that you have found us do keep posting as you will get information and support from experienced people here.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, its hard @Maya2018 Most people know that with dementia you get memory problems, but no-one seems to talk about the rest.

What sort of change in behaviour are you noticing? Whatever it is, Im sure that someone else on here will have gone through the same thing and can advise you.

Pinkstuff

May 21, 2014
London
Hi

I had a similar experience when my mum who had previously taken great pride over her apearance started to refuse bathtime. This may have been because she thought she had already had one .....anyway one of the ways that worked sometimes was to say that i had run her bath and that we didnt want to waste the hot water ( which would help with her aches and pains)... When this no longer worked i read on TP a suggestion to wash the person in stages E.g whilst they are watching TV or listening to the radio you wash their feet in a bowl and then do other bits of the body at a later stage....and this did help me to feel a little less stressed about the whole thing. Good luck

jocat44

Sep 22, 2018
Hi my dad has been refusing to bath for the last year, if we suggest it he gets in a real rage which is frightening. Now if he wants his toe nails cut we say he has to soak his feet in a bowl of water to soften them, no soak no cut nails, it’s working at the moment. Other body parts are washed as and when he suggests them, it’s very difficult but he was getting violent when we pushed him to bath so I’ve had to really push Mum to back off which she is finding very difficult to do because she wants him to be clean.
Good luck and take care
Jo