Challenges in getting the vaccine for people with dementia

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
The data shows that vaccine uptake is lower amongst older people with dementia. Our Policy team want to find out why, so they'd like to ask the following question:

What do you think are the main barriers to eligible older people living with dementia in the community getting the vaccine?

Please leave your thoughts or experiences below. Thanks everyone :)

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother in law lives in a village that has expanded greatly in size over the last few years. Unfortunalty the doctor's surgery hasn't done the same, and even in normal times she often had to wait weeks for an appointment. She is ninety three and has pretty advice vascular dementia. Not only is a mobility extremely poor, she is also incontinent and gets rather scared if you try to get her outside. Therefore a visit anywhere for a vaccination isn't really on. The family flagged up to the surgery that she needed a vaccination and she was due to have one ten days ago. There was then a problem with supply so the nurse didn't come. I don't know if it is happened now, but I rather think not. Having had my own vaccination in a centre where they were doing hundreds in a day I guess the logistics of getting to individual people, specially ones where it may take some time to get them to agree to the vaccination means that it could result in far fewer people having the vaccination in a day at a time when the main aim seems to get as many people done as possible.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I think it is the logistics of getting the vaccine to the individual in their own home. It’s a much slower process than going to a centre that works on a conveyer belt system.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It’s a much slower process than going to a centre that works on a conveyer belt system.
In addition to time spent going to the person there are other things slowing the process.

The person has to be observed for 15 minutes, 30 if on anticoagulant, which may slow things down if they live alone.

The choice of vaccine is limited and the Astra/Zeneca may not be available.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My partner was supposedly on the list for a home visit, but no date was ever given. I booked her appointment on the internet for a the local centre at the football ground. There was a telephone option, but both are hard enough to navigate as a carer without dementia.
On the day there was a doubt as to whether she fully understood what was happening and a best interests decision was made with my consent. Bringing POA document would have helped speed that up, but the nurses managed well. C is on Rivaroxaban anti coagulant and was sent home straight away as I was driving and we live only 15 minutes away.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I would say that logistics are a factor & in a lot of cases PLWD would need a home visit. Also the recent weather. Not all PWD have someone looking out for them or visiting at the moment. How many invites have been put in drawers & forgotten about? Or just having the where with all to organise it. I hope the GP surgeries are following up those who havent responded. I know my FIL would have just put it to one side if he didn't have family to sort it out. Also I wonder about the issue of consent with someone with dementia. Could they be refusing it at the time?