chair

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
I noticed when visiting Mum that some of the residents have big comfy chairs with wheels which allow them to be wheeled into the dayroom.

OT came out and assessed my Mum for one and we were under the impression that it was on order.

When I visited tonight the nurse told me the sister had said that the patient has to pay for the chair before they order it. If they had told us this from the beginning it might be here now. Anyway I just wondered if this was procedure for Mum to pay for her own chair. Can anyone advise? I've to speak to the sister tomorrow about it.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Thanks, Connie. Mum is not self funding due to her needing medical care also.

If we have to pay for it that's fine, I just wondered what the position was.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I do think it varies by area. Maybe even by occupational therapist. I wouldn't automatically assume that simply because other people have paid for them that they "have" to be paid for. I'm not sure you want to speak to the sister about it - what about the OT? I would imagine if she can "code" it she can order it.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I mean when an occupational therapist requests an item for a client from their central depot or wherever, they normally have to enter an ordering code. It was my experience that if a specific item had such a code they could order it, and if it didn't they couldn't. I suggested talkiny to the OT because the sister, while maybe she will know, may just know what has happened before not what "could" happen. I think only the OT will be able to give you a definitive answer on this.