Chain for sliding Patio Doors

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
My mum is PWD. She likes to keep going out into the garden to fuss with the few plants they have in the garden, or wanting to put washing out. She will only ever go through the locked patio doors.

We have put the key high up on a hook but she knocked it down with her walking stick. If it is put up higher, i am worried she will get something to climb on.

Dad is her carer and he is getting old and frail now and forgetful for an 89 years old. He falls asleep and thats when she goes out.

As he is quite deaf he will not hear an alarm unless it its really, really loud and a he wouldn't see a flashing light.

My only other suggestion is to look into a chain or the patio doors unless anyone else can come up with a suggestion

Thanks

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
She may or may not be able to work out how to circumvent this, but the cheapest "lock" for a sliding door is to put a piece of wood in the slide channel at the bottom of the door. But if she's able to work out how to get the keys, she'd probably work out how to take that out.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
You have probably already thought about this, but would it not be better to lock the doors and take the key away, maybe put it in a cup in kitchen cupboard. Is there another door out to the garden? how is this one secured?

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
You have probably already thought about this, but would it not be better to lock the doors and take the key away, maybe put it in a cup in kitchen cupboard. Is there another door out to the garden? how is this one secured?
I think it is more that Dad forgets to hide it away, I suppose we could give the cup a try.

There is a main front door with a lovely ramp, thankfully she has only gone out once to wait for the ice cream man, bless her. I also worry about what would happen if there was a fire

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Is the garden secure? all flat surfaces when she is walking around and a ramp at the doors. Is it possible you could look at this instead of locking her in? maybe lower the clothes line and heighten the flower pots. For a while my mum's one and only obsession was wandering in and out of the garden, in the end I put a bike lock on the garden gate to stop her wandering out and into the road. I put all flower pots on an elevated position so she did not have to bend and importantly I had to adjust and try to relax while she was out there, knowing I had done the best I could to keep her safe.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
My patio door has a key lock in the obvious place by the handle but it also has bolts and these are thrown by knobs at the top and the bottom in the middle of the doors so I don't think a PWD would get the hang of them. Haven't had to resort to using the yet but am thinking about it this week!

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
Is the garden secure? all flat surfaces when she is walking around and a ramp at the doors. Is it possible you could look at this instead of locking her in? maybe lower the clothes line and heighten the flower pots. For a while my mum's one and only obsession was wandering in and out of the garden, in the end I put a bike lock on the garden gate to stop her wandering out and into the road. I put all flower pots on an elevated position so she did not have to bend and importantly I had to adjust and try to relax while she was out there, knowing I had done the best I could to keep her safe.

I like the idea about the lock on the gate......the garden is all uneven. You walk straight out onto a patio and then its a big step down.

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
My patio door has a key lock in the obvious place by the handle but it also has bolts and these are thrown by knobs at the top and the bottom in the middle of the doors so I don't think a PWD would get the hang of them. Haven't had to resort to using the yet but am thinking about it this week!

Brilliant....any chance you could show me a photo of the locks?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Brilliant....any chance you could show me a photo of the locks?
I have similar at home to the ones Selinacroft has mentioned. They are very easy to fit. Drill one hole in the door and two screws in the frame.

Your fear over a fire is a real one and you really do have to think if locking the door is the best option.:(

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Suggest if you haven't done so already to get a smoke alarm fitted by the fire service. I have an extra smoke alarm fitted by Lifeline which sets off the lifeline so that help is summoned should you be out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suzanne F