Certified copies of LPA

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
Just got them back from being registered. The instructions say the power's donor can certify copies if they have capacity to do so. My mum does, but I'm wondering if they will be accepted or is it better to fork out some dosh and get a solicitor to certify copies? Anyone got any experience of the donor doing the certifying?

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
My understanding is the same as yours, so I would get your mum to certify a couple of copies now. You can get a solicitor to certify copies at any time (at a cost), so I wouldn't splash out unless you need to. I 've just had to send the original POA to a financial institution because they wouldn't accept a certified copy via a financial advisor.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I believe when self certifying copies of an LPA you need to use a certain phrase , this needs to go on each page .
I suggest you phone their helpline to check what Mum needs to write , though I am sure others here will know.

If you haven't done so do get some copies as it is not wise to post he originals off anywhere as you may not get it back , I believe but am not sure so don't take my word for it , that when self certifying you can print copies yourself then certify each page

I had a look on the gov site and found this.
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/certify

Last edited:

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
They give you clear instructions how to do it when you get the lpa back. I just wonder how people react to it if it's certified by the donor, not a lawyer. I'm probably worrying about nothing, but the bank both mum and I use has made yet another mess over a simple matter (resulting in a fifty quid payment and a bunch of flowers, would sooner they did it right first time) so I'm feeling twitchy. I suppose they'd better see the original.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
To be honest, I know you can technically let the donor self-certify but it's a hassle as you have to write a whole text on each page, plus if financial institutions already have problems with normal certified copies, how will they react to this? If you are lucky you'll be able to pick up certified copies from a solicitor for a fiver each. But whatever a financial institution says, I would never ever send off the original. If they asked for it, I would send a certified copy plus a printout about the rules and say if they are obstructive you will report them to the OPG or whatever watchdog they are afraid of.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I know you can technically let the donor self-certify but it's a hassle as you have to write a whole text on each page"

You can scan each sheet, save to *.doc or *.pdf, and then print with the text as a footer ready for signing. Don't forget that text on last page is different.