Certification of POA

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Butterfly58, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Butterfly58

Butterfly58 Registered User

Jun 4, 2018
    Hi can anybody advise me when l get my POA certified do I have to take proof of address and photographic evidence. Many thanks

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    If you mean taking it to a bank to enable you to run the donor's finances, yes.

You need the same level of ID and address as you would if you were opening an a/c in your own name.

Ring the bank and ask what they require, also some banks like you to make an appointment.

3. Butterfly58

Jun 4, 2018
    I am thinking of when l go to the solicitor for certified copies I know the bank requires identification

4. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Might be best to ask the solicitor you have chosen what they require.

5. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Don't think so, make sure the certification is correct.
    https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/certify

If the donor still has capacity they can self certify as many copies as they want.

Easy way is to scan the original and print with the certification as a footer, last page is different, and then sign and date..

6. Butterfly58

Jun 4, 2018
    Many thanks for your reply. l have a situation where my stepfather has gone into nursing home with low mental capacity, his bank account is solely in his name. My mother has to get all the bills he paid into her account she has obtained POA as have l. My mother has no photo ID but bank bypassed this when she registered her POA as she has account there separate from stepdads. Not sure whether it best to use her POA or mine when attempting to change the bills around, not having much luck trying to do this on the phone as mother very hard of hearing

7. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    You mother's copy and yours are identical, it does not matter which one you use.

8. Butterfly58

Jun 4, 2018
    Oh ok l did not know this, l thought she being his next of kin, her POA would carry more clout but what you are saying is they are one of the same, l clearly have a lot to learn don’t I ?

9. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    There is only one POA document and you are both attorneys, either jointly or jointly and separately. Jointly means you have to do everything together, jointly and separately means both of you can act independently of each other, and neither carries more clout than the other.

10. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Sounds like joint and several as mother was allowed to register with bank without any reference to the OP