1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Central news this evening... Carers on 34p per hour

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by exhausted 2015, Dec 10, 2015.

1. exhausted 2015

exhausted 2015 Registered User

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Central news this evening highlighted a typical carers day caring for someone with dementia.. It was daughter caring 24/7 for her mother.. The daughter did a video diary of a typical day... And it was so familiar... The carer was trying to make the point that more help was needed for carers... She commented on the carers allowance working out at just 34p an hour, I don't suppose this one small feature will be enough to change anything but at least the general public got a glimpse at the carers roll... Did anyone else in the Midlands see it?

2. 1mindy

1mindy Registered User

Jul 21, 2015
    Female
    Shropshire
    Unfortunately not.

3. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    I'm afraid I didn't. Good to hear that carers issues were highlighted in such a practical way, though :)

4. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    I saw it. My thoughts, a bit sanitised, but at least it was getting publicity.

I think the most impact will be the thought of being paid 34p an hour..... But in my opinion, no impact to exactly what you do for that 34p

I also felt it was "lost" within the awful situation of salve labour - tho thinking about it, that's a link between the two stories in a way, but it could be considered we have a choice as the others don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

5. looviloo

looviloo Registered User

May 3, 2015
    Female
    Cheshire
    Didn't see it, but I do think the whole care-funding situation needs much more publicity in general. There are so many demands on everyone these days and it needs to be talked about.

6. Alison N

Alison N Registered User

Jan 3, 2015
    Surrey
    There are so many carers that don't get the allowance at all. If you are claiming the state pension then the Government expect you to do it free of charge. The excuse is that the benefits overlap??? I didn't know that the state pension was a benefit as I have contributed to national insurance for 49 years but obviously I am mistaken.

7. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    #7 Beate, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    It's 37p when I calculate it, not that it makes a difference. No one works 24/7 but even if you calculate just 35 hours a week, which is the minimum for receiving CA, it works out as just £1.77 per hour, which is less than any minimum wage even for young people. I think CA is classed as a wage replacing benefit which is of course absolute nonsense. You don't get it for more than one person you care for, you don't get it with a State Pension, and the money you get is so laughable that no one could live of it on its own. If the government really was serious about carers, they'd give us about £350 a week and call it a wage!

8. Pegsdaughter

Pegsdaughter Registered User

Oct 7, 2014
    London
    Did not see it as I live in a different area. But my bugbear is the pious claptrap that we should all do more to look after our relatives. As a charity volunteer I have had plenty of clients who literally have no relatives and then there are others who are over 70 with parents of 90 plus. As I said to the pacemaker clinic last year when they happily told my mum her pace maker battery will last another 10 years do you really think I am bringing her here for a replacement when I am 83.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point