Cellulitus

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
I have been told that Mum has Cellulitus. She has been on anti-biotics for about a week or so and it is getting better. Has anyone else had experience of this in a Care Home. I had wondered if she had scratched her leg and that was how it had happened but was told definitely not.

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi

I regularly get cellulitis from insect bites. I only need 1 on my leg and it turns into a balloon. I have antibiotics and antihistamine tablets to clear it up (the antihistamine stops it itching like mad!) It doesn't always turn into cellulitis, it all depends what the insect bit before it bit me :eek:

So check for a bite or any tiny broken skin or even an infected hair follicle can do it.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My Mum bruises easily and it started from this. The bruise on her leg became like a blood blister, was bandaged by the district nurse (though the GP thought it best not to do this), then it burst so then infection must have got in. I think cellulitis can happen easily with fragile dry skin so it is best to moisturise often. My Mum's was treated with antibiotics and it did clear up after some weeks. Her legs ballooned right up and had to be kept elevated. I think it was very painful and made it difficult for her to walk.

zelana

Feb 11, 2013
N E Lincs
My Mum had had cellulitis recently but in her case it was due to her scratching her leg. Mums legs are swollen and they itch so she scratches them. The district nurse is a regular visitor! When we visit Mum we never know if she will have her legs bandaged or not. Yesterday she was wearing a light tubular bandage on both legs.

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. Your replies have put my mind at rest as I really had not even heard of this at all. Yes at 93 Mum's skin is very thin and she is frail.

I have been told today that she is on the mend and getting back to normal and up and about so , thank heavens for antibiotics.

Thank you once again.