Cellulitis and swollen feet and legs

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
My hubby is in care home suffers from Alzheimer’s. He developed Cellulitis New Year. He is on his third lot of antibiotics had it has come back. I’m concerned that his legs leak water and his feet. It feels like his socks are wet and sometimes trouser leg. He had type 2 diabetis which is under control

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
Has the GP spoken to you about this?
it can be caused by a number of things and diabetes certainly complicates healing. My mum had this and we never knew if it was vascular in origin or cardiac related. Basically for some reason the blood wasn’t being pushed around to her heart effectively but was lodging in the legs causing swelling and redness. Hers spontaneously healed but I think that’s unusual. Has he got his legs elevated?
I’d talk to the GP. I doubt anyone else will be able to advise without knowing his history

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
Has the GP spoken to you about this?
it can be caused by a number of things and diabetes certainly complicates healing. My mum had this and we never knew if it was vascular in origin or cardiac related. Basically for some reason the blood wasn’t being pushed around to her heart effectively but was lodging in the legs causing swelling and redness. Hers spontaneously healed but I think that’s unusual. Has he got his legs elevated?
I’d talk to the GP. I doubt anyone else will be able to advise without knowing his history
He won’t sit down or go to bed sleeps in lounge.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My mums legs are the same and she is not diabetic, but she does have a long history of bad varicose veins and leg swelling. Her feet are so swollen as well as her legs, furosemide isn't shifting it. Compression stockings used to keep it at bay and mum would ritually put them on every day, but alas with the advance of her Alzheimer's that has stopped, hence the increase in swelling.

Leg elevation can help but is difficult as in mums case as she is constantly on her feet wandering and sundowning at night

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
My mum has this a lot & she did have vascular dementia. She was on antibiotics for it. It would go away for a bit & then come back. She had her legs raised & compression bandages to get the fluid down. It required daily care & there was nursing care at her care home.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Some times Cellulitis can only be cured by IV antibiotics.
This would mean a stay in hospital and due to the cost I don’t expect anyone will suggest it.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My mum used to get that. More than once she was admitted to hospital for IV antibiotic. When treated at home she used to have her leg bandaged from her foot right up to her knee. The district nurse used to come and change the bandage regularly as it got soaked through. She had vascular dementia. I do hope they can get your dad’s under control.