Cellulitis and early onset Alzheimer’s

Melsbels

Nov 28, 2020
Hi everyone. Unfortunately dad seems to be deteriorating fast. He is getting lost in his one bed flat, sitting in his armchair day and night barely walking about. He is now developed swollen ankles/ feet from fluid retention and now is on antibiotics for pretty nasty looking cellulitis in both feet. I guess my question tonight is is this the start of his immune system struggling? Or am I worrying too much? If he becomes completely unable to walk we will hve no choice but to find him a care home. Do you think he will recover well from this infection or do people with Alzheimer’s not recover from these ailments? Has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks. Mel

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband has had 2 episodes of cellulitis, both of which responded very well to antibiotics. Neither case seemed to have any impact on his dementia but then he is still quite mobile so your dad’s situation is considerably different. My guess is that if he has just about lost his mobility he is need of a lot of care.

My husband hasn’t had another episode so I would have to guess that it is not so much about your dad’s immunity but about the condition of his skin. Tiny little breaks in the surface of the skin can easily become infected and if not treated properly, it can become very serious.

I hope things improve soon.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My mum had vascular dementia. In her last years she was constantly suffering from cellulitis. She used to have to get her legs bandaged from her foot up to her knee. At least once she was admitted to hospital because she needed IV antibiotics. These outbreaks often led to increased confusion, but I think that was the infection rather than a change in her dementia. Once the cellulitis was effectively treated she seemed to return to her old self - until the next time.

I wondered if this would be of any help -

Melsbels

Nov 28, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Dad had a very unsettled night with no sleep again. Hopefully he will have a few naps today.

Melsbels

Nov 28, 2020
My mum had vascular dementia. In her last years she was constantly suffering from cellulitis. She used to have to get her legs bandaged from her foot up to her knee. At least once she was admitted to hospital because she needed IV antibiotics. These outbreaks often led to increased confusion, but I think that was the infection rather than a change in her dementia. Once the cellulitis was effectively treated she seemed to return to her old self - until the next time.

Thank you for the response, it’s starting to look really painful so hopefully the antibiotics kick in soon . He was very unsettled last night with no sleep