Ceiling of care

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Hi all..once agian mum had a chest infection..since xmas she had 5 course of abx..1st for uti all others for chest infections..got a phone last night as home and sister thought chest as gone worse..home as a link to direct nurses!!..they suggested emergency gp to rewiew..he aim out at 01.30 this to say chest was clear..she actually finished course yesterday..he then suggested about ceiling of care for mum..???.. her own gp is coming tomorrow to discuss mum care..we already have a AND in place plus DNAR..think its going to be well how long do we treat with AXB..my question is..i know there not going to make her better..but i want mum to be comfortable??..

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Can’t suggest cos it’s your decision. In OHs case he had a chest infection, which succumbed to ABs. After a period of little food, lots of sleeping, a few fits, and consequently a lot of bruising, he got another chest infection. At that stage ABs were not administered. He died, peacefully, a few hours later. What pleased my stepdau and myself was that he could obviously hear and understand what we were saying, and react to it. As we kept to the funny things, the memorable things etc., these were good memories.
We decided to go home and get some sleep, but he died to 03:00 in the morning.
We both felt it was the right decision, both for him and us.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
In my husband's final weekit was clear that he was not responding to antibiotics. He was in hospital and the ABs were being given intravenously. Although there was a DNR in place I was taken to a room by the doctors and we had the discussion about stopping treatment. I agreed that the ABs were stopped but that they would make sure he was comfortable. He lived for a few days after they stopped the ABS. He was well cared for and I stayed with him in his hospital room for the whole time. They gave me a fold up bed so that I could sleep there. He died peacefully. It was the hardest decision I ever made and although hard for me I know it was right him.

I'm sure those looking after your mum will make her comfortable too. Wishing you strength.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Hi that you for your replay..its very much appreciated..had meeting too and its was very emotional..my brother and i had a frank talk with doctor..was given 3 options..1 hosptial and chest axray..2 cont with another course or 3 withhold abx..!..doctor explained that mum is end stage dementia very thoughtly which i already knew this..but brother was shocked a little..so was glad brother was at meeting. I then discussed it with my other 6 siblings..and majority have said one more course and then thats it..we understand fully whats going on and also know they most probably wont work..but most off us have agree its more for symptom control as we want mum comfortable