CCTV and district nurses

Kevin 98

Nov 27, 2021
Hi all , I’m new to this forum and have become a full time carer for my mother who is bedbound with dementia and have had to virtually move in , leaving my family behind and see them for a few hours a day . I was instructed by social services to fit cameras for mums safety and monitoring when I’m out . Mum has two visits a week by district nurses to manage bed sore and catheter flush and after nine months of that being fine have received a warning letter threatening police action regarding the nurses not wanting these cameras in mums house . Any advice on what I can do would be very appreciated please

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As cameras were installed for mum's safety on the instruction of social services I would ask their opinion, there are likely to be others in the same situation.
The nine months of trouble free use indicate that something has changed.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Kevin 98
a warm welcome to DTP

I wonder whether the district nurse management have been reviewing their protocols ... though no idea why they should come in so heavy handedly ... do they know the cameras were installed at the suggection of Social Services?

might be worth chatting this over with an advisor on the Support Line as they have a good deal of knowledge of such issues

you sound to be doing an awful lot for your mother; is this really sustainable ... your own family need you and I'm sure you need them ... your mother is fortunate to have you looking out for her, however maybe it's time to consider residential nursing care so your mother has a team of staff, including nurses, to support her 24 hours a day ... then you and your family can visit as family rather than carer ... winter is a tough time for someone bedbound to be left alone for any length of time, even with cameras installed

AmyBee

Nov 27, 2021
Hi all , I’m new to this forum and have become a full time carer for my mother who is bedbound with dementia and have had to virtually move in , leaving my family behind and see them for a few hours a day . I was instructed by social services to fit cameras for mums safety and monitoring when I’m out . Mum has two visits a week by district nurses to manage bed sore and catheter flush and after nine months of that being fine have received a warning letter threatening police action regarding the nurses not wanting these cameras in mums house . Any advice on what I can do would be very appreciated please
Hi, legally a person can have cameras and film what they want in their own home.
It seems odd that the DNs would object to this and I would be surprised if they had any way to actually force you into removing the cameras.
maybe you could contact PALs and ask for yours and their legal standing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
It might be worth asking them why the DNs are objecting to this. When I worked in the community, many families used cameras and I can't remember any of the health care professionals complaining or feeling threatened by them in any way. (I'm just guessing but if the staff members are identifiable, I wonder if they may see it as an infringement of their rights?)