Caught in limbo

CallMeRisley

Oct 14, 2021
Hello, and thank you for reading this.
I am after some advice please, or to hear other people's experiences and lessons learnt.
My relative (in her mid - 80s) was living on her own in London but struggling with Alzheimer's and cannot be alone safely.( I couldnt wait for the whole assessment process and the crisis team didn't deem her vunerable enough for immediate support). As there is no one nearby her, I brought her to stay with me last week up North and she wants to live nearby. She still owns a house in London which is now under offer. She has found a care home she likes and is due to move in at the end of next week. She will be a self-funder once her house is sold - meanwhile she has enough money to pay for her care home for about 4 or 5 months ( about£20k). I feel I am taking a bit of a risk by helping her settle in a lovely care home when she might run out of money temporarily if the house sale gets delayed. But she cannot stay with us as we cannot meet her needs.
Does anyone know what might happen in the scenario that she temporarily runs out of money - or can advise on what I should do to prepare for it?
- Her London borough wont help as she wants to live up here (i phoned them and they couldnt get me off the phone quick enough)
- I haven't yet contacted my local social services as I dont want to say anything that might cause us problems later. she's only been here a week so I can see they might not want to 'own' her
- If she runs out of money temporarily what will happen to her as she will only have been in the area for 4 months or so Will she get kicked out of the care home - would I have to take her back into my home? (we love her dearly but cannot meet her needs)
- Does anyone know which authority is accountable for her and her needs?

I know that if her house sale money runs out (minus the allowance) she will be supported but by then she will have been here for probably 4 years or more

thank you

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I am unsure about this but would suggest you cross that bridge when you get to it. Given that she has a house in London to sell, and there are no cheap houses in London, she will have plenty in the bank soon enough and the care home will probably wait. Once she lives permanently in the north I don't see how any local authority other that the one in whose area she resides can be involved.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As she is now resident with you and the London property is on offer I think your local authority have responsibility, you could ask for a needs assessment to get her on their radar.

I agree with talking to the care home, however if your LA accept responsibility and her assets drop below the upper limit before the house is sold the 12 week disregard would come into play.

Has Attendance Allowance been applied for? Once eligibility has been established it will be paid for any time she is self funding.

CallMeRisley

Oct 14, 2021
nitram

MartinWL

thank you that's made me feel a lot better about her moving in asap. She is very fortunate she has these assets so she can move somewhere quickly rather than wait for all the assessment and authorisations. It must be awful for relatives who live at a distance and don't have the funds and/or family who can or will meet their needs in the interim.