Catheters

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
My OH came home from hospital yesterday.He has a long term catheter.He doesn't want carers.I was told a district nurse would call in about 2 months.Does anyone know how long it is before the catheter needs changing & do you have to contact the doctors surgery for them to send someone? I should have asked about this at the hospital but as I was in a bit of a state about him coming home I forgot.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I should talk to GP as soon as possible.
People that dont always understand what it is and why it is there, have a tendancy to try & remove them.

Hopefully the GP will put you onto the district nurses, who , hopefully, would pay you a call to assess the situation.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
The catheter is usually changed every 12 weeks or before if blocked or bypassing. The leg bag is changed weekly. The district nurses deal with any problems and you should be able to get spare leg bags etc on request. To just tell you that a district nurse will call in 2 months is ridiculous. You should have been given more information than that. Catheter care is important. I would ask for a district nurse to visit asap and let them tell you what you need to know. Does your OH have night bags? Best wishes

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
I have found some information.It looks they have to be changed every 7 days. There is no way he is going to let me do it.I am hoping he will agree to have a bath as he won't let me wash him.It looks like he will have to have a care a few times a week

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hi ebas,

My dad has a long term catheter and the District Nurse comes in every three months unless as already stated there is a problem such as a blockage which fortunately doesn't happen too often, in dads case maybe 2-3 times in the last 2 years. As you are now aware a change of Day Bag is done every 7 days as is the Night Bag. My dads carers do that usually on a set day of the week in his case a Monday morning. Having some small pedal bin bags or small bags of some type is helpful to dispose of the bags that are being taken off. A small cheap plastic jug is a must to drain the bag during the day unless OH is happy to put his leg up over the toilet bowl but is probably tricky unless he is pretty stable on his feet/balance. Dads Day Bag is emptied four times a day which is enough for him it may depend on how much OH drinks..
Attaching the Night Bag is relatively simple urine is usually taken out of the Day Bag first then close the valve back again in order to attach the Night Bag to the Day Bag failure to do this can result in drips of remaining urine on the floor, having a bit of tissue whenever handling the valves helps. I believe carers leave a small amount in the Day Bag as drainage into Night Bag is checked to see all is working correctly. Don't forget to switch the valve back TO THE OPEN POSITION at night on the Day Bag or else the Day Bag will become overfull as it won't be able to drain into the Night Bag again this has happened to dad but it has been the odd carers that have made this error or very possible dad has fiddled with the valve we are never quite sure but it doesn't often happen now. Carers put the night bag in a small round washing up bowl which we supplied and just put it by the side/slightly under the bed there are stands available but to be honest we felt the bag was best laid in a bowl as any issues such as leakage because valve was accidentally left open on the bottom of the Night Bag has meant that any urine will be in the bowl rather than carpet. We haven't had too many issues but the bowl has definitely saved us on a few occasions.
In the morning before detaching the Night Bag close the valve on the Day Bag, sometimes a little manual persuasion is needed first to gently squeeze some urine from the Day Bag into the Night Bag just to ensure the Day Bag is fully empty. Dads morning carers empty and rinse through the Night Bag with plain water and leave it in the bowl ready to attach again, as you may be doing this yourself at least initially make sure the valve on the bottom of the Night Bag is closed after emptying to avoid leaking/emptying into the bowl when next used..
Dads bags are ordered online via a website by my sister that the Pharmacy/GP directed us to as I'm sure there came a time when the pharmacy said they could no longer order for us but maybe it depends on the area you live or the system your own GP prefers. When you order the bags there will also be a need to check for ordering of numbing gel and new tubing that the District Nurse inserts into the patient as they don't appear to arrive with the extras needed, G straps are also good as will help hold the tubing on the leg in a more comfortable position and can also be obtained under the NHS via the same time as everything else is ordered. All of dads catheter requirements are delivered to his home and all are free including delivery.
I have to say its a bit of a nightmare when dad has his District Nurse in he hates the changeover as it is pretty uncomfortable for him, he is due for a change in three days. District Nurse will give us a date for his next appointment but cannot ever give us a time so either sister or I will make sure we are at his home until they have been. My dad could not cope with emptying his bag during the day so he does have carers 4 times a day now as he lives on his own he is 86 yrs and has Mixed Dementia, they also wash/dress him heat up a microwave meal and visit to offer a tea/cake in the afternoon plus a bedtime call to help him to bed. Both my sister and I visit him so he has a reasonable amount of care whilst still living at home. I would say that having a catheter can leave them open to getting more Urinary Tract Infections dad has had several now so any sudden change of behavior or aggression could be down to an infection. Unfortunately my dad has been doubly incontinent for quite a long time so carers have his pads to deal with too, his temperament is starting to get worse so we are not sure how much longer he will be able to be cared for at home. I do hope you get the help you need the catheter on a day to day basis does gets easier and its not as complicated as it might initially appear to be but perhaps OH will be more acceptable of a carer dealing with it my dad doesn't like it but will on the whole co-operate.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
If you haven't already discovered this for yourself....... my OH had a catheter as a temporary measure..... he insisted he could empty the bag himself, but he kept forgetting ( Vascular dementia) to close it up again, and it would then drain directly from his bladder into the bed.....

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My OH came home from hospital yesterday.He has a long term catheter.He doesn't want carers.I was told a district nurse would call in about 2 months.Does anyone know how long it is before the catheter needs changing & do you have to contact the doctors surgery for them to send someone? I should have asked about this at the hospital but as I was in a bit of a state about him coming home I forgot.
There is a company called Scripteasy.They will set you up with night bags etc plus the catheter stuff for the nurses when it needs changing.All free and delivered to the door.Just for your information leg bags are changed every 7 days.Dated and out on the opposite leg.Also down here we have yellow bags for catheters are pads,as it is human waste and gets incinerated.Organised by the council but you will have to organise it yourself.They bring the bags and then dispose of them one day a week.All free.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
If you haven't already discovered this for yourself....... my OH had a catheter as a temporary measure..... he insisted he could empty the bag himself, but he kept forgetting ( Vascular dementia) to close it up again, and it would then drain directly from his bladder into the bed.....

It’s a pity some bags don’t have a valve which has to be held open to empty and then close automatically . It’d work better for dementia patients.

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
Thank you all for the information.I wasn't told any of this by the hospital,only how to empty the bags All went well last night.I was up at 3am so emptied the bag then.My OH has VD & is very aggressive at times.He has been referred by the hospital to the Mental Health Team.I am going to try & get him in the bath tomorrow as he won't let me strip wash him & won't have carers.I try & keep him as calm as possible.I am 73 & he is 74.He is worse with his VD now than when he went into hospital.It has just taken me 10 mins to get him to sit down.I couldn't make him understand he had to turn round to be able to sit.
I have rang 111.Someone phoned me back & they are getting in touch with the doctors to send someone round next week.
I often wonder how much longer I am going to be able to do this as I am exhausted & he has only been home for 1 day

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
J
Thank you all for the information.I wasn't told any of this by the hospital,only how to empty the bags All went well last night.I was up at 3am so emptied the bag then.My OH has VD & is very aggressive at times.He has been referred by the hospital to the Mental Health Team.I am going to try & get him in the bath tomorrow as he won't let me strip wash him & won't have carers.I try & keep him as calm as possible.I am 73 & he is 74.He is worse with his VD now than when he went into hospital.It has just taken me 10 mins to get him to sit down.I couldn't make him understand he had to turn round to be able to sit.
I have rang 111.Someone phoned me back & they are getting in touch with the doctors to send someone round next week.
I often wonder how much longer I am going to be able to do this as I am exhausted & he has only been home for 1 day
I find my dad exhausting he has VD as well and is 86. I was more hands on a while back for 4years but I have stepped back now as dad's mobility has declined.He has carers 4X a day and goes out in a wheelchair. I just told him straight that it was the carers or nothing as I could do no more.They recommend "love lies" but dad is "highly functioning" so he would question things more so I am straight with him whether he likes it or not. ..But everyone is different so we all manage in our own way...Good luck.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
The hospital sent bags etc home with my OH to keep him going for a couple of weeks. They contacted my surgery who contacted the community nurses, tho' I think I rang them anyway.
OH has his bags changed every week, there are also disposable ones that are changed every day. His prescription is from the surgery and it is up to me to request them. He has a catheter 'passport' where changes and batch numbers are recorded and I must say they change his catheter no later than the day the next change is stated.
His catheter is changed every 10 weeks as he was getting UTIs around the 11 week mark and this appears to have stopped them, but beware catheters can cause UTIs so keep an eye on him. It is only the community nurses who deal with his catheter any problems I ring them or 111 if out of hours. Not sure if different regions have different systems.

Twice OH has fiddled with his catheter and unplugged the leg bag, so a wet bed but tbh he has never really botherd about it.

Make sure he drinks plenty to flush his bladder and help prevent blockages. I read not to use soap and when cleaning the entry point as it can cause irritation and wipe away the pipe from the penis so any bacteria doesn't get pushed toward the opening.
Sorry if this is a duplicate of any of the above but wanted to reply to you before OH carers get here so haven't read all your replies.

Last edited:

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks for getting back to me.All the information that has be given to me is excellant.Have only skimmed through it as last night I was so tired.When I get chance I will make notes as these days I only seem to remember a few things at a time.It seems to be a new learning curve every day. Am trying to get into a new routine of OH will comply.Hoping for the best.

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
Thanking I could get into a routine is pie in the sky.It has taken me 10 mins to get him up from the table to sit in the front room.He won't get dressed or washed or change his pad.Just sitting in the chair with the tv on.I have a dentists appointment tomorrow.Looks like I will have to cancel it

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thanking I could get into a routine is pie in the sky.It has taken me 10 mins to get him up from the table to sit in the front room.He won't get dressed or washed or change his pad.Just sitting in the chair with the tv on.I have a dentists appointment tomorrow.Looks like I will have to cancel it
Can you not get someone to sit with him??. Age UK also can organise befrienders.

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
At 8.45pm last night he pulled out his catheter.He was taken to hospital.The hospital wanted to send him home.I have said NO as he can get aggressive

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
sorry to hear that @ebas
but also relieved as you both clearly need more support
well done for standing your ground
maybe print out your posts here to show them how difficult a time you've had and how little help (posts are dated and timed for a week so you can evidence a time line)
you might also throw into conversation the phrase 'failed discharge' as hospitals do not want these on their records, but to me that's exactly what this is