Catheter then UTI now Sepsis

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
just home from OH being admitted to Hospital with uriniary sepsis!
Thankfully once on the dripsafter a few hours he was improving BUT taking into account his loss of mobility, his dementia(still awaiting confirmation! told Mixed Alzheimer’s and Vascular !!!) insulin diabetes and previous stroke........I was asked the question what are your long term plan......for his care!! Did we have a DNR in place.........they would do everything ........etc etc etc......
Oh my goodness......various professionals had been preparing me in suggesting I should think ahead but that now seems imminent???
I just cannot think further than I need sleep......but that won’t come!
Turmoil isn’t enough to describe how I feel....

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
just home from OH being admitted to Hospital with uriniary sepsis!
Thankfully once on the dripsafter a few hours he was improving BUT taking into account his loss of mobility, his dementia(still awaiting confirmation! told Mixed Alzheimer’s and Vascular !!!) insulin diabetes and previous stroke........I was asked the question what are your long term plan......for his care!! Did we have a DNR in place.........they would do everything ........etc etc etc......
Oh my goodness......various professionals had been preparing me in suggesting I should think ahead but that now seems imminent???
I just cannot think further than I need sleep......but that won’t come!
Turmoil isn’t enough to describe how I feel....
I hope you have had some sleep by now. I don't think you are in a position at the moment to make long term plans. Just know that he is in the best place for now with perhaps a move to a Nursing Home to follow at least temporarily. Sending ZZZzzz and gentle (((hugs)))

cuppatea

Oct 28, 2016
South Wales
Poor you hope you are sleeping a bit and he rallies. Speaking to a doctor ar the hospital in a similar crisis helped me make that decision. Xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))) @Lady M
Sometimes things can happen very quickly in dementia land.
I think having a DNR is a good idea. It doesnt mean that they wont treat him - just not bring him back if his heart stops.
As for the rest - see what happens

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Well thanks to all for replies!!
Needless to say didn’t sleep but managed two hours of restlessness in chair.
OT from hospital phoned this morning, how do we manage a5 home, how does he mobilise...etc etc etc......went to visit OH.
He is of course confused, wants to come etc....still running a temp whenI questioned about the antibiotics drip nurse mentioned the DVT What said I........she quickly said oh you must see the doctor......was told I need to make appointment for that!
He hadn’t had any insulin till diabetic nurse arrived at 4pm today to sign it up!
I noticed some of his meds ( amytripaline and pregabalin ) been stopped!!
OT says he can mobilise with two and use The rotaunder...... he can wriggle to the edge of the bed then be assisted to stand??????
I am so confused. The care manager where we live(retirement living scheme) feels that the staff here have been struggling to meet his needs!!! She will back if I and or family say he needs 24hr supervision and care.
Left OH as he was wanting to sleep....I am shattered, drained , exhausted and still stressed....
Will request appointment with dr tomorrow!!!(have a feeling their aiming for his discharge home!!) seen this many time...then person back to A& E. Then Home and so the cycle goes on..........I cannot allow that to occur!!
Hope I can stay strong and focused!!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Take a deep breath - relax.

Find out from ward manager (>>>PALS<<< if no success) just what the situation is.

You need to know all the details, medication/DVT?/...if he is he is going to be discharged home.

If you have H&W LPA this should be easy, failing this it is more than reasonable that you fully know the situation.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
so sorry this happening @Lady M....we had several weeks of not really knowing what was happening, and being unable to get info (no LPA) and that ramps up the stress so much. We too thought a couple of times FiL was not going to be coming out....but amazingly he rallied and is home on Monday .....as Canary says, things can happen very quickly! So keep breathing, look after yourself while you have the opportunity and keep posting on here....we're thinking of you x

And get bolshie if you think they're trying to send him home too early!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
So much has happen , since my last post!
OH as you know, was admitted with Sepsis! What a journey we are having from being asked to get a DNR in place and told they would keep him comfortable, to everyone talking about res care to being told he’s back to base line and Ok for home...........his insulin regime had been altered but appeared to be Ok ..he had been in bed for over six days.....etc.....assessment by head of care where we live and deemed Ok for care here at home.......so after a total of 9 days he was bought home..I was shocked as he was on a bed and the ambulance crew was shocked when we requested he was transferred to his recliner and not bed........so life was due to continue..care plan in place ...rapid response nurses to attend for insulin until paperwork etc when DN would resume that regime.
Well despite regular insulin......his levels kept rising.....I spoke to GP who authorised a minimal increase in insulin.....no change...came to a head on the third day home(Sunday) no nurse for insulin......I was continually phoning ...was promised visits...etc phoning again...Nurse arrived at Noon to give one injection (OH has two different insulin’s ) again had to make various calls to get authorised for the nurse to give both.......despite eating very little his sugar level still rising so it was back via 999 to A and E where he is re admitted...with DKA and infections???? Straight on oxygen and antibiotics etc?......24hours later he still hadn’t had any insulin as it had not been prescribed by the ‘on call’ dr...I had to phone one of our sons to come to our home and collect his own insulin .....after that on the sliding scale etc and changed back to another insulin regime.
He has been in bed since....( seven days......) when it was deemed he needed to be sat out in chair( possible congestion) he could not weight bear...so was hoisted! I had to leave the bedside...I just couldn’t stand to see that....
So hear we are...........I have asked what the infection was/is and told waiting for cultures on bloods( how long does that take) he is in pain due to a skin tear on his testicle ( probably where he scratches ) and the continual ‘sitting’ must be so uncomfortable...... fingers black and blue for hourly blood tests.........artieral blood test ......he is still on saline drips and oxygen............but has rallied, as on Wednesday last I was fearful as I have never seen him look so terrible!
He phoned me (vis the phone on the hospital tv I have left phone umber in large print for him to copy! ) crying , distressed and saying needs to come home! Phoned this morning to report he had argued with someone. I had to phone and explain he has DEMENTIA! The staff don’t seem to comprehend!!!!!
So the saga goes on...
What do I do........what do I say to him......he tells family he doesn’t know why he’s in hospital.....???
I feel distressed , fearful of the future......exhausted....stressed...
But most of all.......how his body can keep on taking knock after knock after knock........!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))) @Lady M

This relentless roller coaster just awful. With dementia the body seems to cling to life tightly.

Tell him that he is very ill and keep repeating it as necessary, because it wont stick. Get the family on your side too, so that you are all singing from the same song-sheet.
Tell yourself that he is safe where he is and getting treatment. Make sure you eat and get sleep
xx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Dear @Lady M ...
my thoughts are with you and the terrible time you and your husband are going through.
My husband was rushed in with sepsis 12 months ago. It was so tough for us all, and I felt very alone trying to cope with all the many professionals involved, some I felt didn’t understand my husbands needs and didn’t have a clue what we both were going through.
Please try to take care of yourself too. You are obviously very important to your husband.
Sending you love and warmest thoughts.
Love B xx

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
thinking of you both @Lady M.....so sorry to hear your news, you must be so worried. Hope your family is able to come and support you, and we are always here with an ear to listen and a hug. Take care of yourself too x

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Thanks to all. I am very lucky in that our lovely sons and their families(having grown up grandkids as well as little ones) have and are continuing to be so supportive...... ...as are TP friends.
It has been and continues to be a long and bumpy road.......needless to say this has affected and advanced the dementia rapidly.....
He now is seeming to believe that the male nurse is making advances to me!!! Plus of course all other confusions , as to where he is, etc.........
Where will this part of the journey end??.
One question to any who may be able to answer or maybe had to face themselves......
Having lost the ability to weight bear (infections, weakness, or the dementia?) would rehab be able to restore ?
Thanks again TP for just being there!!!!!!!!!!

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
My FiL wasin general hospital for about 6 wks with a broken hip followed by pneumonia. While he was there he deteriorated to the point that he could not turn over in bed and had to be propped up in the chair with several pillows or he would just keel over. We thought he was going to be bed bound...would never walk again (he wasn't very mobile before his fall, just a few steps with his zimmer). Towards the end of his stay he started to improve a little, trying to do his exercises, and, as we asked, he was sent to a physio rehab unit for 2 wks. By the time he went home he could walk a few steps, and now OH says he can do more, albeit in his own rather unique fashion, with his zimmer, and also can sit and turn over in bed. I'm amazed at his progress, tho, unfortunately, we think all the changes have worsened him cognitively.

So don't give up hope Lady M.....I think they may be like babies, tougher than they look! Take care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pamelaann