Catheter- passing more urine at night

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
My 85 year old husband has had a catheter for nearly 2 years. He has only ever passed between 350-400 ml of urine between 9 pm and 6 am. He takes furosemide. The last 2 mornings at 6 am there has been 850-900 ml. Fluid intake has not varied and he is on a soft diet. His legs have not been at all swollen. Is it possible that his kidneys are working better? I presume this is a good change, any advice or comments welcome.

trying too hard!

Aug 28, 2019
My 85 year old husband has had a catheter for nearly 2 years. He has only ever passed between 350-400 ml of urine between 9 pm and 6 am. He takes furosemide. The last 2 mornings at 6 am there has been 850-900 ml. Fluid intake has not varied and he is on a soft diet. His legs have not been at all swollen. Is it possible that his kidneys are working better? I presume this is a good change, any advice or comments welcome.

just a quick thought? when was his blood sugar last checked, if he has diabetes, type 2 at this age probably, this could cause more urine output? But probably in daytime as well???

Please note NOT a medical opinion, just a thought??

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH is the same. For some reason her produces much more urine during the night. During the day he only produces about 400ml, but during the night he produces 1200 - 1600 ml. I make sure that he does not have caffeine after 6:00pm and no drinks at all after 8.30pm (he goes to bed at 10:30pm), but it has made no difference. He doesnt have kidney problems and doesnt get swollen ankles during the day either.

I dont know why this is happening

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Thank you for the replies. Husband had blood sugar tested about 5 weeks ago so presume that should be OK ? during the day the urine output has not altered, but I will actually record amounts to check that is the case.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There has been a discussion on the forum recently about an increase in passing urine during the night. I`m sorry I can`t find it but apparently it`s due to a change in a certain hormone production as we age.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks @Cat27.

It`s not the post I am looking for. It was about the change in hormones as we age and I can`t even remember whether it is an increase or decrease.

I don`t think it was AliceA`s Thread. I think she was replying to someone else.