Cateracts

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

I took my mother for an eye test yesterday where it was discovered that she has cateracts on both eyes. The optician has said that in order to remove them it will involve 2 ops with general anaesthetic because she would not sit still. Yesterday she was in a fine old panic just for the checkup.

Not sure about subjecting my 86 year old mother to this.

Any ideas?

Jude

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Dear jude,my mum was 82 when she had her cateracts done,they do 1eye at a time she had no problems but she only had a local but saying that she had a pacemaker fitted 2yrs ago under genarel and she came through fine i always say shes invinceable! exepet to A/D of course.storm

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Storm,

Thanks for the reassurance. I think I'll get the Doctor to give Mum a thorough medical and see what he thinks. She seems very healthy but did have a mini stroke a couple of years ago.

Jude

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Jude, Andy's Mum has had both her eyes done, at age 84 and 85. Like Storm's Mum it was a local but the Op itself was a success both times. I think you are wise to have your GP give her a check up though. Love She. XX

nikita

Jul 31, 2004
my gran almost 94 also has cateracts but after talking it over with her rmn we decided it would be 2 traumatic and risky for her to be treated she can see enought to walk around etc, she also has a weak heart and putting her through a op would be two risky.

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear Jude

Did the optician say how advanced the cateracts were?

My optician discovered I have cateracts coming on both eyes, but she said they are only just beginning and are usually slow growing. She didn't advise an operation at this stage but said she would see me again in 12months.

My brother has also had the same diagnosis and the same advice from his optician.

Unless your Mum's eyesight is badly affected I don't think I would rush into any operations, and if it is urgent I would enquire about having one done at a time.

As regards her age, my son's mother in law had one cateract removed last year when she was 84, she can now see so well she isn't having the other eye done.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Barraf

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Barraf and everyone,

The cateracts are pretty far advanced which may account for her dodgy footwork recently. The eyes have to be done one at a time as it apparently takes a week or so for vision to be restored, so we are facing two 'generals' but perhaps with a 3 month break in between.

I've made an appointment to speak to the Doctor.

Many thanks all.

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear all,

Many thanks for the support.

I took my mother to the Doctor yesterday and she put on a 'performance' in the Waiting Room. We had to literally prise her out of the chair and drag her into the consulting room. She had a full check up amidst screaming and wailing... It was pretty terrible for all of us. The Doctor unsurprisingly said that it would be a very bad idea to submit her to anything that would cause traumatic anxiety.

That's that then! I am now going to arrange for some light sensitive glasses instead.

Jude