Cataracts

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
hi, would be grateful for some advice please. Mum has been told she needs a cataract operation although we haven’t got a date yet she has had her pre op. I know she’s really scared and doesn’t want it done but she lives alone with a LOT of family help and if she were to lose her sight she and we couldn’t cope. Have you been through this with your PWD and if so, is it worth it?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
hi, would be grateful for some advice please. Mum has been told she needs a cataract operation although we haven’t got a date yet she has had her pre op. I know she’s really scared and doesn’t want it done but she lives alone with a LOT of family help and if she were to lose her sight she and we couldn’t cope. Have you been through this with your PWD and if so, is it worth it?

Dear Starter,

I'm in the same situation as you and I recommend you look at my thread 'Dad Needs To Have Cataracts Removed Could I Have Some Advice Please'. I am waiting to hear from our local hospital but dad's consultant has said that he needs to have a general anaesthetic because of his dementia. He also said that a general anaesthetic would make his Alzheimers worse but this would eventually level out.

Good luck

MaNaAk

PS: I will be talking about dad's cataracts again at his next appointment with this geriatrician.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
There are quite a few posts on cataract surgery, it’s an individual problem, can your mum lie still for the op under local anaesthetic, will she poke at her eye after.
I was a theatre nurse dealing in eyes, the op itself is “relatively simple “ but the patient has to lie still for 20mins or so
Ask at the hospital if one of you can accompany her, some one , at least in my place, always held a hand, ask about music, we always had music playing, mostly classic, but the doctors I worked with could accommodate anything, actually they are so involved in the surgery they don’t hear it.
The main issue is keeping the pad on post op, and putting in the drops 4 times a day.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
MiL had hers done. Made a real difference to her life. Reduced falls, increased enjoyment of television, even started to read again, for a while.
Luckily she was good about the eye drops.

Bod

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
Thank you all for your replies. I’m allowed to go with her and they will give her sedation beforehand plus someone to hold her head still. Nurses will come to put the drops in. Thank you Bod I’m hoping it will make a difference to her life if I can persuade her to be brave enough x

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thank you all for your replies. I’m allowed to go with her and they will give her sedation beforehand plus someone to hold her head still. Nurses will come to put the drops in. Thank you Bod I’m hoping it will make a difference to her life if I can persuade her to be brave enough x

Dear Starter,
Please let me know how she gets on so that I can prepare dad for his op.

Thankyou

MaNaAk

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
Dear Starter,
Please let me know how she gets on so that I can prepare dad for his op.

Thankyou

MaNaAk
I certainly will MaNaAk. She still doesn’t have a date for her op but she seems to be coming round to the idea at least x