Cataract done!

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
Well yesterday was the day! I only told mum the date of her op the day before because I knew she would worry. She was fine when I told her. Come the day though, I had a phone call to say she wasn’t going. Two hours later, after tantrums and shouting, she agreed to go. She lives alone, so losing her vision is not an option. She then forgot where we were going and told the dr on the ward that she was there for a blood test. After flirting with the surgeon, she happily went to theatre. After care is going to be difficult with two lots of drops n7merous times a day - we were promised community nurses but now they can only do two visits a day. She was also promised sedation for the op but didn’t get it. The eye mask was off within the hour because she couldn’t remember what it was. God help us when the other eye is done!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Starter
sorry, had to smile:
After flirting with the surgeon, she happily went to theatre.

it's good the op is done - fingers crossed that the aftercare will go well and the final result will be worth all your efforts

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
hi @Starter
sorry, had to smile:

it's good the op is done - fingers crossed that the aftercare will go well and the final result will be worth all your efforts
Thanks for your reply Shedrech. It was a really traumatic day. We tried to tell her that she couldn’t live alone if she went blind. Now she’s telling everyone that we are ‘putting her in a home’. It’s so wearing, but hopefully as you say the result will be worth it for her x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It is very good the op has been done @Starter and I have personal experience of the difference it makes.

I do hope your mother doesn`t jeopardise the aftercare however difficult it is for her to understand how important it is.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum had a cataract removed at a time when she was in a care home. It made her very confused, but fortunately she was compliant with the aftercare and she got good sight back in that eye.
I did decide, though, not to get the other eye done as she could see well enough (a long way down the vision chart) with the eye that had had the cataract removed and I didnt think it would improve her quality of life if she had the other one done.