Cash crisis ‘could close 50% of UK care homes’

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
That would only be true if standards hadn't increased anywhere else in the public sector!!!! It's just an excuse. My contributions have increased over the years in line with everything else. I too worked the wards of geriatric hospitals and they were horrifying. I used to work extra hours every day and weekends to try to make things better for people and fortunately i was at the end of the era that believed you could treat old people as though they were worse than animals.

I understand that you are saying that expectations have increased but you only have to look at children's wards these days to see the love and care and amazing facilities that they are provided with so some people are still happy to treat older people as though they are not human beings and why should they get less care and less facilities than kids or any other sector of the population????

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
That would only be true if standards hadn't increased anywhere else in the public sector!!!! It's just an excuse. My contributions have increased over the years in line with everything else. I too worked the wards of geriatric hospitals and they were horrifying. I used to work extra hours every day and weekends to try to make things better for people and fortunately i was at the end of the era that believed you could treat old people as though they were worse than animals.

I understand that you are saying that expectations have increased but you only have to look at children's wards these days to see the love and care and amazing facilities that they are provided with so some people are still happy to treat older people as though they are not human beings and why should they get less care and less facilities than kids or any other sector of the population????

I agree that facilities in hospital wards should be of a similar level for all patient groups, and from some posts on TP it's clear that doesn't always happen. However, if you are comparing care home facilities or nursing homes it's like comparing apples and oranges. Children don't live for many years in children's hospital wards.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
That's true, then lets look at residential homes for children - the same applies the rules are stringent, much more stringent than any care homes and the facilities, activities and money spent doesn't begin to compare and the care is free to all of them - those with ASBOs, those with disabilities, those with other problems which means they cannot live with their families. I don't see them being charged for third rate care or receiving anything less than the best!! Apples and apples this time, apologies

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Isn't it a sad state of affairs in our so called 'first world country' that we as a nation cannot afford to keep our chronically sick or elderly in decency and a measure of comfort no matter what is wrong with them or how much they can afford to pay: that we feel angry when we see children treated well and our elderly and chronically sick seemingly being the ones who are draining resources and castigated because they have worked all their lives for a wage which was never enough to put savings by for a rainy day !

A small child suffering quite rightly brings out the best in people, hence Red Nose Day and the millions of pounds and publicity given to them,especially if the child has a limited life span

We are rapidly reaching a stage in the life of our country where charity appeals seem to be the only way in which we can reach out a helping hand nowadays.
The government tell us taxes cannot pay for elderly care and private charities or businesses must take on this responsibility!

So we seem to be going backwards to the good old days when the rich gave and the poor received gratefully what was given to them.

xxTinaT

Last edited: