Cash and bank cards

Shirlthewhirl

Jan 7, 2021
Good afternoon
My dad has alzheimers and is in a care home. He keeps a wallet with bank notes in but lately has been putting bank notes into his trouser pocket and they have been found in the laundry. I got some fake money for him (care home not happy he has cash in his wallet) but when it arrived it was a lot smaller than real money so I know he won't fall that.

So any ideas, also he keeps asking for his bank card. I have POA and keep his card and was giving him cash when he asked for it to make him feel that he had money with him. Now I feel stuck as I don't want him losing more cash if I give it to him and same issue with the bank card. He won't put his wallet in the care home safe.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Hi @Shirlthewhirl my OH when in the care home used to ask me regularly to bring in his bank card and money. He couldn't leave the home at all. I explained that normally he was to ask me for whatever he wanted and I would bring it in. I said the home didn't want him to have cash as it would be a temptation for other residents with dementia who might wander into his room and they could end up 'in trouble' and he eventually accepted that cash in his room was not a good idea.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
got some fake money for him (care home not happy he has cash in his wallet) but when it arrived it was a lot smaller than real money so I know he won't fall that.
You might be surprised.
I found paper napkins with £20 notes printed on them, cut them out and mum was perfectly happy with them. I know someone on here photocopied some real notes, cut them out and pasted them back to back and their PWD accepted them!

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I got mum some old currency off eBay - green one pound notes and some brown ten shilling notes. She'd regressed to an earlier time in her life and it worked well for her - se loved to check her purse and find it full of money :)

And no problems with staff nicking it of course.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
hi @shirlthe,
do you have an old out of date or cancelled card that could keep him happy or one of those pre paid cards that just has a minimal amount on it?

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
hi @shirlthe,
do you have an old out of date or cancelled card that could keep him happy or one of those pre paid cards that just has a minimal amount on it?
This is the best idea suggested. Don't charge it with much money. Don't copy banknotes, it is illegal to do that. What might he need cash for anyway?

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Well obviously he doesnt, but many people (including my mum) feel that they need money and become agitated if they havent got any, so fake money is the answer.
Well point taken but I should hate to think of counterfeiter @canary locked in a rat-infested cell wearing a ball and chain so best not to break the law by making fake money, the prepaid card is a better idea by far.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Well point taken but I should hate to think of counterfeiter @canary locked in a rat-infested cell wearing a ball and chain so best not to break the law by making fake money, the prepaid card is a better idea by far.
My mum would never have understood the idea of a pre-paid card or even a credit card at the point she became obsessed with money. What she wanted was to see cash in her purse so she could take it out and count it. I probably spent about £15 (of her money) buying old (real) currency but it meant she could have a fistful of notes which made her feel secure. And better than anyone else :oops: