Casbow's Diary.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hang on!! Isn't "respite care" regarded as temporary? So wouldn't he have been entitled to Attendance Allowance during the period he was officially in Respite, before it was changed to him being in permanent care? Maybe it's different here, but William was in Respite for two weeks and then went straight over to permanent care, and I got Carer's Allowance until the date he formally started permanent care.
I think I might have misunderstood the post about AA. They just want dates confirmed i think. I will ring Age UK tomorrow and see if they can answer a few of my enguiries. For a start when i was assessed the lady said that all money in Davids name only, half of joint savings and half of his private pension would go with him. Well where does it go. If they take that away I only have half his pension and my own married womans pension. Yes I have savings but they won't go far if I have to use them to top up his fees. Just can't get my head around it. And I know nothing about pension credits. We have never had to claim money in the whole of our lives. So it is completely alien. Thankyou you and GrannieG. I feel like i have my own personal minders.!!!!xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I think I might have misunderstood the post about AA. They just want dates confirmed i think. I will ring Age UK tomorrow and see if they can answer a few of my enguiries. For a start when i was assessed the lady said that all money in Davids name only, half of joint savings and half of his private pension would go with him. Well where does it go. If they take that away I only have half his pension and my own married womans pension. Yes I have savings but they won't go far if I have to use them to top up his fees. Just can't get my head around it. And I know nothing about pension credits. We have never had to claim money in the whole of our lives. So it is completely alien. Thankyou you and GrannieG. I feel like i have my own personal minders.!!!!xxx

Casbow, you definitely need to get advice, so do ring Age UK. These people might also be able to help: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/ . They are a charity that helps people figure out what benefits they may be entitled to. I have a snippet from a magazine and here's what it says about pension credit: "Currently people born before 5 July 1953, whose weekly income is under £159.35 for a single person, or £243.25 for a couple, or who have a disability, are carers, or have certain housing costs, such as mortgage payments. Eligibility for people born later in 1953 starts rolling out from July 2017."
It also mentions Council Tax Support, for people on a low income, and an automatic 25% reduction in your Council Tax if you live alone.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Casbow, you definitely need to get advice, so do ring Age UK. These people might also be able to help: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/ . They are a charity that helps people figure out what benefits they may be entitled to. I have a snippet from a magazine and here's what it says about pension credit: "Currently people born before 5 July 1953, whose weekly income is under £159.35 for a single person, or £243.25 for a couple, or who have a disability, are carers, or have certain housing costs, such as mortgage payments. Eligibility for people born later in 1953 starts rolling out from July 2017."
It also mentions Council Tax Support, for people on a low income, and an automatic 25% reduction in your Council Tax if you live alone.

Thankyou. Yes i will tomorrow. Thankyou.x

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Could you try the CAB Casbow?

I am going to wait until tomorrow now. I have a meeting with Social worker at the care home about how everything is going and if he may get Continued care funding. So if we get that I won't need to worry. If not I will just keep trying on the phone. CAB have e mailed me some time ago with lots of details but nothing about how Davids money is used. So I hope for more information tomorrow at the meeting. I am trying not to worry as it doesn't solve anything and at the end of the day what will be will be. I will let you know what is happening as soon as I know.xx

sajimjo

Jun 18, 2013
Staffordshire
Casbow I really feel for you. You have had so much to deal with just looking after your husband but now you have got this extra worry of the finances. It's really not fair that carers should have so much pressure from all directions. Thinking of you x

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Had meeting with SW today. We had two members of staff there and the forms for Continuing Care Funding were filled in. It is a bit complicated and I won't go into it too much but he is eligible for the funding. But...It is taking up to 6 months to be processed so a long wait and if anything changes in that time that could change the decision. In regards to the money that 'goes with him' It sort of means that money that they explained to me will be used to pay for his care. But I think it is left to me to pay the bill every month with that money. Except for his state pension that will go straight towards the payment. I think I have got it right. x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So, we shan't have to send you our stale crusts in the post, to keep the wolf from your door? Hopefully?

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hi LadyA. Well hopefully not. But it is going to take months of my having to pay before it is hopefully sorted. I will have to go to the bank again and perhaps set up a different account to put Davids money in so I know its there to pay the bill each month. I have to make an appointment to see someone at bank to register POA with them. Need to speak to the assessor again as well. Probably take forever to get hold of her. Had a really bad night last night. One bad dream after another. Kept waking up after one and then going back to sleep and having another. Worn out this morning. Hope you are well.x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I am, thank you, Casbow. And if it's any consolation, I was in a right state about the finances at the time when William was going into a nursing home. I didn't want to take the Govt. loan against part of the value of our home, which is part of the funding deal here, but would of course have left me in a lot of debt. Technically, I could have applied to have repayment of the loan deferred until after I either sell the house or die, but I couldn't face having huge debts hanging over me. Taking the loan would have left me with an extra €74 a week in my purse, so doing without it meant a lot of belt tightening. I'm glad I did though. You will get through this, I'm sure. xx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Well done for managing LadyA. It must have been difficult. I expect i will be ok eventually but I have not had to worry about money for years. It has become a bit of a shock to have to sit down and work everything out. Especially on my own.It was always 'we' not just me. I have manged for 10 years with his input slowly declining, but as he got worse we went out less, holidays gradually stopped, theatre stopped, just about everything became to difficult. So at the end of the day we were not spending much money. Now most of our money is spent on our little dog who is very ill. The costs of veterinary treatment is nothing short of robbery.Still I have to do my best for her.xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hopefully, you will find, as I did, that it costs a lot less to live, when you are on your own (Vet bills aside!). I couldn't believe how much my grocery bill, particularly, dropped, even though William hadn't been eating or drinking much. But I had been buying up to six litres of different fruit juices a week, trying to get fluids into him, and most of it was going down the drain, because he'd take one or two sips and then leave it!

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hopefully, you will find, as I did, that it costs a lot less to live, when you are on your own (Vet bills aside!). I couldn't believe how much my grocery bill, particularly, dropped, even though William hadn't been eating or drinking much. But I had been buying up to six litres of different fruit juices a week, trying to get fluids into him, and most of it was going down the drain, because he'd take one or two sips and then leave it!

Yes I have sort of noticed that I am buying a lot less, but I have a lot in the freezer to use up. Not really being very adventurous just salad with Hard boiled egg and cheese is doing me at the moment. I have not long been back from the vet. My little girl was so sick this morning I couldn't let her suffer anymore. There was no cure for her and to keep her unable to eat or go for a walk just became pointless for her. No life. So with a broken heart I have let her go. Over the rainbow to doggy heaven. I am going early to see David to help at lunchtime. I hope you have a pleasant day.xxx

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
I'm so sorry about your dog.
I've always had dogs and loved all of them.
I've got two , now.
There were three of them, but the oldest died last february.
I care for stray dogs and try to support as many as I can
It's third or fourth world here in Italy ..
Huge municipal pounds, above all in the South, with lots of poor dogs, forced to spend thei lives in cages, cold in winter and hot in summer.
A hell...

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Aw, Casbow! I'm so sorry. Even when we know we're doing the right and kindest thing, it doesn't make it any easier for us. xx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
I'm so sorry about your dog.
I've always had dogs and loved all of them.
I've got two , now.
There were three of them, but the oldest died last february.
I care for stray dogs and try to support as many as I can
It's third or fourth world here in Italy ..
Huge municipal pounds, above all in the South, with lots of poor dogs, forced to spend thei lives in cages, cold in winter and hot in summer.
A hell...

Our little Pip came from Spain. We only had her for one year and 2 weeks. She was seven when we got her. So badly treated she would scream when touched. We loved her so much and she did not only trust us completely, but also our regular visitors. When the door bell rang they were 'her' visitors and she would sit on a little mat as I taught her, to wait until they came in. she has gone over the Rainbow now and at peace. Loved her so much.xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan