Casbow's Diary.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You need protectors on the settee, for a start! Seat protectors, they're made from the same stuff as Kylie sheets, but come in a good selection of colours. The Kylie sheets should be absorbing a lot of liquid - you know not to use fabric softener when washing them? And check your detergent doesn't have fabric softener built-in - that happened to one TP'r, and the Kylie sheets weren't absorbing the urine- it was just running off them onto the bed!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Would rumble dryer sheers do the same as conditioner. I have been putting one in with the kylie as washing doesn't seem to get the smell out. x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm not sure, as I've never had a tumble dryer - I think they may do. For the smell on the kylie sheets, you'd be better maybe doing them on a hotter wash - they can actually be done on a boil wash, although that's not always very handy! But I used to wash them at 60C and put some Zoflora disinfectant (it's very concentrated, so you only need a little) in with the rinse. It comes in a range of lovely - I was going to say flavours :D - scents that don't smell a bit "disinfectant-y" and have the advantage of disinfecting things too, so I used it on all William's laundry, sheets, pj's etc.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I used something called, I think, Urinegone, something like that which I used to get from the Rugdoctor. They had a concession in our local Morrisons. It kills the bacteria that make the smell and helps with stains as well, and is brilliant. I bought the large size which you use in carpet cleaning machines and diluted it. It made it much more economical than the spray bottles which are equally good. If you can't get that then try the pet shop for products for pet ''accidents'.
So sorry - this is such very hard work for you. It might be worth seeing if you can get help with your water bills because of the extra washing - contact your local Water authority. Hopefully the weather will improve soon and getting things dry outside will be easier and save some electricity.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Ps

I was thinking of the pet spray for carpets, sofa, mattresses. Agree with LadyA, Zoflora is brilliant to use in the washing machine and for wiping hard surfaces.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Thank you LadyA and Esmerelda. My Drawer sheet (Kylie) instructions says cold or very cool wash.!!!The wee doesn't go through it. My hubby wets so much that it soaks the kylie and then runs off of the top and side nearest to where he lays. It is a double bed but only him in it. He also lays mostly on his back but slightly on the left and doesn't appear to move for the whole time. Which is 12 hours (If I can get him up in the morning.) Also he wears pull ups and therefore the sides are just stretch stuff and no padding which is where I think all of the wee gets out. Sometimes the pants are barely damp where it has nearly all got out. Using a pad is worse as he can move that!! What a carry-on. Anyway I have just had delivery of a duvet protector. I think it is going to make a noise. Should i wash it now to start with. It says it can be washed on 40 degrees. As its new I hope it will wash like they say. Thank you to you all for your comments. I didn't realise it was all so complicated.xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Gosh- the bed pads I had could be washed at 90 degree wash! They weren't the Kylie brand, but the same type of thing I assumed, as they looked exactly the same! Quilted, slightly padded bed protectors, with "wings". I don't remember what the brand name was.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
It is very hard Casbow. I guess it wouldn't hurt to wash the duvet cover first. I never used one.
Have you been referred to the Incontinence Advice Service. GP needs to refer you. Must admit although we were referred here the District Nurses do it and they would not respond although i begged for help as OH was doubly incontinent. I think it's better in other places though. I don't know if your husband would tolerate it but there is something called a convene - bit like a sheath in which the urine can be collected. Haven't any experience of it myself but some people find them useful, probably can be difficult for pwd though. Might be worth looking into.

I always washed the Kylie sheets at 90 degrees and they seemed ok. Maybe they have changed them, the instructions said it was ok and they would need to do that if they're used for different people in a CH.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Once again thank you. Yes we have been using the incontinence service for about 5 months. Their pull ups are the ones that are letting us down, and anyway apparently they will not provide them anymore after April. Will still be able to have the pads. Which are fine if I keep my eye on him. Sometimes he takes himself to the loo and doesn't put the pad back in place. Sometimes he just pulls them out and I find them on the floor.!!!! So from that point I am going to buy Tena again which I didn't have a problem with then ,although it may be that they would not work now. I will try them at night and if better will pay out happily, to avoid all the washing and the cost must cancel it out. The Kylie you showed me looks very similar but more expensive. So I will order one to see if better. Thank you. It must work out cheaper in the long run. The ones I bought were about £26 and I thought that was a good price to pay. You are wonderful for all your help.x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Once again thank you. Yes we have been using the incontinence service for about 5 months. Their pull ups are the ones that are letting us down, and anyway apparently they will not provide them anymore after April. Will still be able to have the pads. Which are fine if I keep my eye on him. Sometimes he takes himself to the loo and doesn't put the pad back in place. Sometimes he just pulls them out and I find them on the floor.!!!! So from that point I am going to buy Tena again which I didn't have a problem with then ,although it may be that they would not work now. I will try them at night and if better will pay out happily, to avoid all the washing and the cost must cancel it out. The Kylie you showed me looks very similar but more expensive. So I will order one to see if better. Thank you. It must work out cheaper in the long run. The ones I bought were about £26 and I thought that was a good price to pay. You are wonderful for all your help.x

That is what TP is for! :)

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Well the duvet protector cover arrived very quickly It was a bit noisy so I decided to wash it according to instructions. The washing went ok but it took a long while to dry. So I will maybe try it Friday night. A night where I can cope with interrupted sleep.!! Don't have to be anywhere quick in the morning. He does sleep very well so maybe it won 't make any difference. Or am I being wishful.! On a different subject ,since he went into that awful care home for respite,he has only been to the loo twice. I can see a lot of problems if he doesn't go tomorrow. Something that has been ongoing problem, but we had sorted before the "Care" home. Wish he had never been there.x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Would he take anything like Lactulose? Constipation can have a detrimental affect on moods too, because it can make you feel awful in sort of unspecified ways.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Yes he has lactulose every day. And I make sure he has fruit and fibre. Yesterday evening he had a bit of an accident. He has been having trouble for some time but I thought we had got into a bit of predictability. All gone wrong again.x

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Today we managed to go to Singing for the Brain. We have not been for 3 months. First there was a seizure. He was a different person after and didn't want to go out or have anyone in. Then there was another seizure. Since that one he has been easier to look after but still doesn't want to go anywhere. so I was well pleased to go out today. He actually enjoyed it when we got there.It was really nice to see the friends we had made there. Especially the ones who come from Alzheimers Society to help out. Lovely people who are so kind and understanding. Recommend Singing for the brain if you can join a group near you. xx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
How nice you both had a good time Casbow, hopefully you will be able to build on it if your husband enjoyed it.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Yes I think he did. We have been going for about 3 years and have always enjoyed the company. But since the seizures he has become more and more reluctant to go out. Also it is only once a fortnight or only twice a month on 5 week months. Still we got there and maybe we will again next time. Meantime duvet cover is now on and tonight is the first night. Hope it doesn't wake him. I have washed it and it doesn't seem to make much noise. But then I have not got to sleep under it.!!!xx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Well what do I do now. I have been worried for some time that he was becoming doubly incontinent but what with the care home episode and the settling him back into a routine I thought it was going to be ok. But tonight he had another accident and didn't seem to know. I will not go into details but it was awful and impossible to clean him properly. What do i do if this is the future. How do other people manage this. It was such a shame. I had a lovely day in the garden. I love gardening and get a lot of pleasure looking at the result of my labour. I probably have as many photos of this garden and those before, as i do of the boys. We have two sons, and 4 grandchildren.! David has had a happy day and was away with the fairies most of it. Happy in a dementia kind of way. On the subject of Kylies or whatever by another name I have ordered two new ones that can be washed at 90 degrees.!!! Problem with the ones I've got is after about 3 months they are letting the water get through. So now i have to change the whole bed pretty much everyday. I don't know how he has so much wee. He never drinks after 6.30.pm. When I give him a drink in the evening he usually leaves it.