Carpet cleaning tips

Coltrane

Jun 7, 2015
Hi,
just joined this forum but cannot find any advice regarding cleaning carpets that have been badly soiled by urine. Unfortunately my mothers Dementia is progressing fast and she can no longer always find the toilet or Commode.
Can anyone recommend a product that is available to buy. I have seen several products that state that they are Urine neutralisers but have mixed reviews.
Any help would be appreciated - thanks

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
You could try the dettol washing liquid designed for clothes. I'm not certain how good that will be but to be honest it's got to be better for a carpet than urine. Another thought would be to get a non slip easy clean floor put down and the carpet taken up.

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Try 1001 carpet cleaner FOR PETS! [formerly troubleshooter] certainly removes the smell which is the purpose of the exercise.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Try 1001 carpet cleaner FOR PETS! [formerly troubleshooter] certainly removes the smell which is the purpose of the exercise.

I was about to say the same...any pet 'accident' spray will do the job.
'Someone' on here (2jays) speaks very highly of vinegar...:)

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Blot, blot, blot - I agree 2jays - first blot as much as possible, as soon as possible. I have used the Dettol and it is pretty good. I just dread that urine smell so I usually "Dettol" it again - blot as much as possible so that carpet dries quickly. Then I spray the "pet accident spray".

I didn't know of 1001 carpet cleaner for pets, Chrisdee, I'll look out for that.

OH has had catheter for two years and there has been an awful lot to learn about a subject I wish I didn't need to know about.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I use, sorry, used, a pet spray. Works well, with a slight smell of lavender. ( OH now in home, not got used to it yet!)

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Blot, blot, blot - I agree 2jays - first blot as much as possible, as soon as possible. I have used the Dettol and it is pretty good. I just dread that urine smell so I usually "Dettol" it again - blot as much as possible so that carpet dries quickly. Then I spray the "pet accident spray".

I didn't know of 1001 carpet cleaner for pets, Chrisdee, I'll look out for that.

OH has had catheter for two years and there has been an awful lot to learn about a subject I wish I didn't need to know about.
I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase LilacB, so checked the label.
Its certainly 1001 Troubleshooter, but no longer has 'pet accident spray' on the label.
Sounds as though you have it covered anyway, so to speak!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
After blotting 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water. Your house will smell like a fish and chip shop for a couple of days but then it should clear.:eek:

aksawy3

Account Closed
Feb 12, 2017
I think that you must call professional company for cleaning thats will give you perfect work .

Last edited:

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Giant sellotape like product

When MIL had her bathroom done they covered the carpets with a product which is like a giant roll of sellotape - they sell it in DIY stores - apparently it can stay down for amonth without damaging carpet. Just wondering if that might be useful to you in the future.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
A special spray in the famous pink bottles works on old stains. Just check which one you are buying. Otherwise, pet spray.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It did, but not much urine. He was mostly OK with a bottle, obviously missed that time! But that was nearly 2 years ago, before he went into a home. And until I start being incontinent, no problem! But I won't care then!

Mark you, we were away on holiday a year or so before that and again he 'missed' the bottle. Fortunately it was a place used to dealing with disabled of all sorts. The cleaners had sorted it before we got back from breakfast!

Last edited:

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
Try Stardrops, you can get this from most pound shops.
I use it in a wet vac as an alternative to more expensive detergent products and it cleans a treat. Spraying a little bit onto the carpet and letting it dwell before scrubbing helps to loosen the soiling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75