Carol service

jude1950

Mar 23, 2006
Lincolnshire
I Hope you don't mind but I am feeling a little low and wanted to share my day with my friends on TP.
Today one of the local churches arranged a small service of carols songs and readings and offered prayers for dementia patients and carers. They invited along the local alzheimer's group and a number of us attended there was a collection afterwards and this was donated to the Alzheimer's society.
I decided that it might be nice for Jim to go along with us and arranged with the care home that I would be taking him out for the afternoon. We first had lunch with our friends where the husband also has AD. Things were ok but the deterioration in Jim was apparent he fell asleep twice during lunch and was talking very incoherently but there was no sigh of any aggression.
We went along to the service and we carers and patients sat in a group near the front.I was keeping my fingers crossed that Jim would be ok ..he has always said he believes there might be a God but he doesn't see why we need the middle men a view he may decide to share with the rest of the congregation!!!!
The service started with an opening address from the vicar then came the first hymn "All things bright and beautiful" we all stood to sing and then all of a sudden this beautiful tenor voice started to sing .....MY JIM.... he often used to sing to me prior to his AD and it was pitch and word perfect all verses in this clear voice there wasn't a dry eye in the church..the rest of the service went really well and we had tea and mince pies afterwards where Jim announced he would like two mince pies as he was starving and hadn't eaten for two days....its a good thing our friend who had just given him a lovely lunch understands Alzheimer's .
What I wanted to share with you all was that for a two hour "window" today I had my wonderful Jim back and once I can stop crying I shall treasure today for a long time.
love
Judith

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Thank you for sharing

Dear Judith,
That was really beautiful. It is strange how somewhere they do remember songs somewhere in the memory. when Peter was able to, he is now in E.M.I. Unit latter stage. At the beginning I use to put on his favourite C & W C.D.'s and sing along with him. How I miss those times. It is such a lovely memory for you.
Best wishes Christine

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Judith, thank you for sharing. Your story moved me to tears too.

What I wanted to share with you all was that for a two hour "window" today I had my wonderful Jim back and once I can stop crying I shall treasure today for a long time.
love
Judith

Sincerly hope that life allows you many more memories like "your window" today.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Judith, I`m in tears with you.

In spite of all the challenging behaviours, all the problems, all the stress, your story proves we should never forget that the person we knew is still there.

Now you know Jim can be reached through music, it might be an idea to try some CDs of songs you know he likes.

Who knows, you might have many more moments to treasure.

Love xx

jude1950

Mar 23, 2006
Lincolnshire
Thankyou all for your replies...Jim has many talents music being one of them until recently he had his guitar with him in the Nursing home unfortunately this skill is gradually leaving him too he forgets some of the chords and frequently adjusts the strings thinking this is the problem then he gets frustrated because the guitar is now out of tune he will join in with the other residents singalongs sometimes but gets frustrated when he forgets the words so tends not to do much with music now...that is why today was so special.
jude

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Judith,
I was bought up on music and dancing. When Peter was able to walk along the corridor, I would break into a dance and when he had music in his room was do a bit off line dancing and he use to sit and laugh. The Staff use to pop into see what all the laughter was about. How I miss those times. Still a precious memory I have.
Best wishes Christine

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Judith,

I am so pleased for you that Jim was able to join in with the singing and do it so well even on a empty stomach (LOL) I am pleased that you have this happy memory. Take Care Taffy

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Judith, what a wonderful day for you. That memory will always stay with you.

It's great that Jim was able to remember the words, and hold the tune. I'm not surprised everyone was so moved.

I hope you have many more memories to treasure, it's those rare flashes of sunshine that get us through the gloom.

Love,

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Judith,

I haven't been on the site for a while - lost my access details, been busy, etc. etc.

Wow, did I cry at this story. My beloved dad died in 2004, he didn't have AD, he died of stomach cancer, thankfully little pain, but at his funeral I insisted on All Things Bright and Beautiful cos he was such a lover of nature, could spot a rabbit a mile away, and ran a smallholding for most of his life.

The thought of Jim singing that song, and in good voice too, must have meant the world to you.

You have now convinced me that I must take my mum to a Carol Service.

Much love

Margaret

clarethebear

Oct 16, 2007
manchester, uk
Hi Judith

What a special day that was for you. I hope at this magical time of year you will have more memories to hold close to your heart, like the one you'v just had.

Take Care
Clare:)

jude1950

Mar 23, 2006
Lincolnshire
Update

Jim's daughter went to see him today he was a little sleepy and kept talking to imaginary people but she still had some responses from him As part of the conversation she mentioned the Carol service and said how much we seemed to enjoy it. Jim's reply ...What Carol service? I havent seen Judith for weeks we can't have been anywhere....
What a difference a couple of days make still I shall have to do the rembering for both of us ,I shall see him tomorrow perhaps we shall sing All things Bright and Beautiful.
love Judith

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This is the saddest part Judith.

Wouldn`t it be lovely if Jim could have some recollection of the few good things that happen in his life. You had the pleasure, it will stay in your memory, but it`s not to be for Jim.