Caring home for assessment!

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi, just wondering what to do and if anyone has had the same experience. My dad has been in a nursing home for two weeks (is in there for initial 6 week reablement package). He has fallen twice in the past 5 days. On both occasions my dad had tried to get out of bed and fell onto the floor. Staff leave him to sleep in until he wakes at approximately 10.45am. Think they have bed rails. Should there be a risk assessment in place. I want my dad to be safe. It's hard enough having him in there in the first place? Many thanks.
Is he climbing over the bed rails ?
Both you and the care home have my sympathy. Preventing people with dementia from falling is such a difficult job.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hi, just wondering what to do and if anyone has had the same experience. My dad has been in a nursing home for two weeks (is in there for initial 6 week reablement package). He has fallen twice in the past 5 days. On both occasions my dad had tried to get out of bed and fell onto the floor. Staff leave him to sleep in until he wakes at approximately 10.45am. Think they have bed rails. Should there be a risk assessment in place. I want my dad to be safe. It's hard enough having him in there in the first place? Many thanks.

When my mum was falling out of bed a lot, the care home said that they wouldn't put rails up because any injuries would be worse if she managed to clamber over them. Instead, they reduced the height of her bed and placed a "crash mat" alongside, with a sensor alarm to alert them if she was moving around. She did manage to slither out of the end of the bed once, bypassing both the sensor and the crash mat, and slid to the floor but at least didn't hurt herself.

Peace lily

Jan 30, 2020
Thank you for your replies @Weasell and @lemonbalm . Yes, they do have bedrails. I think he's just waking up and trying to get up on his own. Is is usual for residents to be left on bed until they wake up naturally. Maybe if they gently prompted my dad early and then supported him to get up (I'm just thinking out loud). He only fell a couple of times at home and here he's fell twice in 5 days?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum had an arrangement like @lemonbalm described.
I do think that an alarm of some sort so that the staff could be alerted as soon as she tries to get up is the answer.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi, feeling for you, as my dad is getting transferred today from hospital to a nursing home for six weeks. He will probably then go to a permanent home. I am heartbroken. I can't get my head around it. I feel as if I have lost my poor dad. It's so painful isn't it?