Caring for my mom with possible dementia.

JanApp

Apr 23, 2020
Hi, I am caring for my mom who has just turned 91. She has a few health problems...hypothyroidism and anaemia. The anaemia is relatively new and has been prescribed iron tablets.
In May last year she had a fall downstairs which resulted in a bang to her head and damage around her eye. The hospital gave her the all clear but since then she has not been the same. In August she was diagnosed as having a UTI and as a result became really confused. Later blood tests showed severe anaemia but she refused further tests. Since then she has lost a lot of weight, become increasingly frail and suffers confusion. We suspect dementia but the GP seems reluctant in a diagnosis because of the anaemia...he suspects a cancer or something similar, but again she refuses tests.
Some days are better than others but she is no longer capable of using the cooker, microwave etc as she cannot cope with the processes involved. Even the t.v causes problems for her. She has memory lapses and sleeps an awful lot. I am caring for her on my own due to covid 19 and I am finding it increasingly difficult. Am I right in thinking she has dementia or is it the physical issues causing the problem?
Thanks

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @JanApp and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

The best thing to do in this situation is continue to chat with your GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you. Maybe the GP could call your mom in for something like a wellwoman appointment so as to get a test done.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

JanApp

Apr 23, 2020
Thank you. It is really difficult getting my mom to actually see the doctor for anything.
I appreciate your help.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
A lot of peple have this difficulty and sometimes they get it done by the Dr calling the person in as the older generation will sometimes obey the Dr even when family are being refused.

I wish you luck.

JanApp

Apr 23, 2020
A lot of peple have this difficulty and sometimes they get it done by the Dr calling the person in as the older generation will sometimes obey the Dr even when family are being refused.

I wish you luck.
Thank you.

JanApp

Apr 23, 2020

I wish you luck.
Thank you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132