Caring for my father who has Alzheimer’s

Aloevera

Mar 1, 2021
Hi I have moved in to care fr my father who has Alzheimer’s & I’m finding it hard. He is very placid, but needs so much entertaining. The only thing he wants to do is go out fo a drive & it’s hard to do this all day, every day. Any ideas?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the community @Aloevera. My partner is fairly placid too, but gets bored easily. I find music helps to distract and placate her. There are good tips for love lies and placating our loved ones when dementia makes comprehension difficult at Recommended thread - Compassionate Communication with the Memory Impaired | Dementia Talking Point (alzheimers.org.uk) which may help you. I hope any of that helps, but there are always others with better ideas around so keep reading and best of luck.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Aloevera welcome from me too. It's difficult trying to keep someone with dementia 'entertained' but I found with my mum that putting on music or a dvd of a favourite film helped, and she also enjoyed doing some colouring with simple colouring books and crayons. It's a good idea to try something that fits in with your father's previous interests, for example if he liked doing practical things/DIY then maybe asking him to sort out some nuts & bolts, washers etc in size order might work, and asking him to help you to with some household tasks such as pairing up socks, polishing cutlery etc might interest him. If he likes cars/driving perhaps having some model cars might keep him interested, or car picture books or a simple jigsaw? Sorting through family photos so that they can go into an album might also keep him busy or if he liked gardening then perhaps planting some seeds into pots might appeal? This link has some ideas which you could try too: